LED signal/tail lights???

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

LED signal/tail lights???

Postby 93ramrod » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:25 pm

hey everyone! Im looking around for some good bright led's for my tail light and front signals. Im sure someones done this. I want to make an informed decision and pick up real bright decent quality led's. I go on ebay and there are sooo many different styles and no way of knowing if they are actually bright or good quality or what.

any help, part numbers, etc would be awesome

thanks.
93ramrod
fuel pin?

Re: LED signal/tail lights???

Postby DMan1198 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:27 pm

Look on carid.com they have a good selection. The lumen LEDs are really bright
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby firstgenjunkie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:58 am

I converted mine about four years ago when I upgraded my battery cables and grounds. It does "free up" more juice than you'd expect. I picked up my stuff from superbrightleds. Just make sure get one that has LEDs facing in all directions since they only light up on one plane. The cheap ones from pepboys/autozone/oreilly/etc... only face straight back so nobody can see them from the sides.

When you convert your turn signals you'll get a bulb short light on the instrument panel when the lights are on. LEDs don't draw enough power and the electrics think there is a bad bulb. Either live with it or put a load on the circuit with a resistor. Search LED conversion over on DTR and Jim Lane has a whole write up on converting all his running lights to LEDs.

Rich
1992 Dodge D350 Dually. EV2 Pyro & Boost, BHAF, Denny T Stage 2 pin, 366 spring, 4 inch exhaust and mildly tweaked pump. 2nd gen split bench, full replacement bumper/grill, and mobile comm suite.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DMan1198 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:02 am

Or get the ones that are can-bus friendly. I believe they have the resister built in
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby firstgenjunkie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:10 pm

They would be much easier since it's a direct replacement without splicing in a resistor, but they can run $20 for an 1156 vs. $14 or so for 1156 + resistor.
1992 Dodge D350 Dually. EV2 Pyro & Boost, BHAF, Denny T Stage 2 pin, 366 spring, 4 inch exhaust and mildly tweaked pump. 2nd gen split bench, full replacement bumper/grill, and mobile comm suite.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:00 pm

If you try them in the front turn signals you might have problem without the resistor. The front markers and turn signals are tied together threw the side marker light.

I can tell you how to get around that problem if it occurs.

1st gens have no bulb out warnings. :lol: :lol:

Your thinking rounded truck.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical