ABS and BRAKE lights stay on?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

ABS and BRAKE lights stay on?

Postby ABeach6882 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Yesterday for the first time I was pulling a trailer with brakes. When I purchased the truck the previous owner installed a Kelsey Hayes trailer brake controler. I tried to test it in the driveway and it wouldn't lock the brakes up on the trailer so I tried adjusting the sensitivity. When I did I saw a spark inside the box and then noticed my abs and brake light on. Also now the door/headlight on/ key in ignition buzzer no longer works. It sounds the buzzer when I apply the brakes if the door is open though. Now when I apply firm pressure to the brake pedal the abs and brake light on the dash go off. I've disconnected the buzzer for now because it was driving me crazy. I've tried disconnecting the battery as well as disconnecting the connector to the RWAL box in hopes of it resetting the system. Ive also tried to run the diagnostic on the abs system. I don't get anything when I ground out the diagnostic connector. Any ideas as what the problem may be and how to fix it?
ABeach6882
smoke screw?

Re: ABS and BRAKE lights stay on?

Postby PToombs » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Have you checked the fuses? Maybe one is blown, or the controller shorted out and crossed some wires.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Re: ABS and BRAKE lights stay on?

Postby ABeach6882 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:56 am

Yes I check the fuses and nothing is blown. The stop light switch was extremely hot so I replaced that and the problem still exists. I'm gonna get a new controler here soon and hopefully that will resolve my issue. I'm still baffled as to why the buzzer sounds when I hit the brakes though
ABeach6882
smoke screw?

Return to Electrical