Ebay H4 headlight relay kit....

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Ebay H4 headlight relay kit....

Postby thrashingcows » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:30 pm

OK I decided to try and be lazy....I ordered one of those H4 headlight relay kits off E-bay. Wondered about the quality of these kits so I paid $15 shipped....so not out too much. ;)

Here are a couple pics of the kit I ordered....

Well decided to install it quickly and see what happened. My 93 donor was a Canadian truck, so it came with the daytime running lights...which still work properly. So I hooked up the system with the primary hook up on the passenger side, since that is where the main power for the DRL come from.

The high and low beams seemed to work fine. But when I shut off the lights, and then moved the truck to get the DRL to come on..(Yup it needs to sense movement or they will to come on). The relays in the system were buzzing like crazy, and only the drivers side would light up. The passenger side was very, very dim...just a slight glow in the bulb.

So guess it's a no go. But what really got me was that I was feeling the wires, and even though they looked like 10/12ga...they were really soft. So I decided, since I was not going to be using the kit, to open up the main power wire. Wow what a deception they have going on there!

Here is a 10/12 gauge piece of wire on teh left, and the "10/12ga" wire from the kit on the right.

I actually measured the wire strand and if it's 18ga I think you'd be lucky. All coating on the wire to make it look bigger then it really is.

So I would recommend staying away from this off shore junk. ;)
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Re: Ebay H4 headlight relay kit....

Postby PToombs » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 pm

So you got a cool clear relay for 15 bucks, not a bad deal! :lol: I'm leery of buying anything that comes from there. I was looking at taillights for the truck camper, 75 LED tail turn stop backup lights. I decided that $29 was too much to risk for them.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical