No headlight but works using high beam switch?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

No headlight but works using high beam switch?

Postby Dan NJ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:31 am

So driving home last night I lost my headlight while I had my high beams on. The only way they work is if I hold the high beam switch back. I haven't gotten a chance to mess with it yet but anyone have any ideas?
Dan NJ
fuel screw!!!!

Re: No headlight but works using high beam switch?

Postby ellis93 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:56 pm

More than likely the multi function switch (turn signal/wiper/dimmer switch) is bad,but that's a guess. The headlight switch and its plug are garbage on these trucks. Either one will burn up from high output bulbs being installed. I believe that is do to the tiny tot wiring ran to and from the switch,also the spade terminals get loose from age and heat from the amp draw of the bulbs.
I personally burnt up two aftermarket switches and had to do get the plug twice on mine. Only after I put the lights on relays did the switch and plug survive those silver star headlight builds I use.

Some folks are of the opinion that this is a bandaid and is a terrible solution for the problem....I say it works and is a permanent fix for a horribly designed system.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Dan NJ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Awesome thank you I'm gonna mess with it tomorrow
Dan NJ
fuel screw!!!!

Postby firstgenjunkie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:57 am

I second separate wiring with relays powering straight off of the battery or alternator via a fused (or circuit breaker) line. The dinky stock wires plus drawing @30a through the headlight switch is bad juju. Diesel truck resource has a pretty good write up on how to make your own or their are some folk out there who make them for @$100 or so. I made mine, but in retrospect I think I'd have rather used that time working on how I was going to power all my mobile ham gear.

Rich
1992 Dodge D350 Dually. EV2 Pyro & Boost, BHAF, Denny T Stage 2 pin, 366 spring, 4 inch exhaust and mildly tweaked pump. 2nd gen split bench, full replacement bumper/grill, and mobile comm suite.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:17 pm

I relayed mine too. I also biggie sized the ground wire off each headlight plug to a 12 gauge wire. Now my lights are nice and bright and I can see! 8)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:45 am

I had the exact same symptoms a dozen years go in a 92. It was the switch and plug. Reach under the dash and feel your headlight switch when it is ON. If it is hot, your switch is fried. Had to get one from the dealer after putting the tail light circuit on relays.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical