No Break Lights

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

No Break Lights

Postby SeenTheLight » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:38 pm

I'm trying to get the break lights, and break controller, working (93 w/ cruise control). There was an old break controller contacted to the white wire in the break switch harness. I am getting no voltage there when the switch is released. No voltage on the pink wire either that feeds the pink wire. I've checked the fuse, it was blown but after replacing, still not working.

I've looked around some in the wiring harnesses and plugs. pulled the MFS off. I think I read the break light signal feeds through the MFS so I've metered the connector while it was plugged in to see if I could identify 12v. that followed the break switch. Found nothing. I'm

I'm trying to look through the wiring diagrams but having a little trouble reading them. Any ideas on where to look to track down the open circuit? I'm trying to get the truck ready to pull a trailer for this weekends hunt.

Thanks for any help.
93 w250 extended cab, 5-speed flatbed
SeenTheLight
fuel pin?

Re: No Break Lights

Postby SeenTheLight » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:04 pm

OK, I've found another wiring diagram that's a little clearer. Looks like there is one connector between the PNK/DRK BLU out of the fuse box and the PNK into the stop lamp switch, which has no voltage. So, broken wire or bad connection. I'll spend a little time looking for that before I bypass that circuit and run a new wire...
SeenTheLight
fuel pin?

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:07 am

I can take a look at my FSM when I get back to the house, we'll get you squared away. Shouldn't need to run a new wire unless the old one is trashed. One of the biggest issues with these old trucks is the sub-par factory wiring system. It's easy to overload it, and the grounds aren't the best. For example, the headlight circuit. Mostly 16gauge wire, and a switch that easily burns up. Solution? Relays. I am gathering parts to install a trailer brake controller, but all the load will come straight from the battery, through relays, lighting and brake power. This will take most of the load off the factory lighting harness.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby SeenTheLight » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:42 pm

That's probably a good idea to send lighting power from up front too. My break power comes from a fuse right off the battery. As for my break light issue... I hate it when i over-complicate things. Was up under the dash this evening and trying to trace that wire one more time and saw another plug hanging there shaped just like the one it was plugged into. And it had the pink/dark blue wire going to the pin where the ping wire on the break switch goes. Plugged it in and there it goes. Still had to rewire most of the break lights on the back of the flat bed but that was easy. Took it out for a spin without worrying about getting pulled over. Thanks for the help though. I'll start thinking about what wires need to come from up front, there are a lot of lights on that flatbed.
SeenTheLight
fuel pin?

Postby jay » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:59 pm

On my 93 I haf no brake lights my problem was in the back where the wires split to each light they had frayed and I needed to do some rewiring hope this helps but I found on these old trucks for back lights it is usually in the back end wiring
92 D350 CC bd diesel fuel pin and governor spring timing advanced 6 degrees power screw turned.Had a 93 D250 CC denny t fuel pin 3200 governor spring timing advanced 6 degrees power screw done 100 hp DSS injectors he 351 turbo dual disc clutch
jay
fuel pin?

Return to Electrical