Voltage regulating/ Alternator issues

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Voltage regulating/ Alternator issues

Postby dpuckett » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:44 pm

I have a 93 W250 that over the summer, the voltage regulator and AC parts of the PCM would cut out. I can live without the AC, and as long as it charges often enough to keep the battery up, so what if the idiot light comes on now and then?

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. VR completely went out. I had the alternator checked out, even though it had bern rebuilt in the last year. I mentioned bypassing the computer and installing an external VR. He had an internal one specifically for bypassing Chrysler PCMs. He put it in, told me How to finish hooking it up, which includes finding field power with the ignition ON.

I had no power with the ignition ON. Traced it to the ASD Relay. Got a new relay, but it is a light duty unit from the local parts store. It didnt help. In fact, with my hand holding it, I can reach around the open door and turn the key ON. It clicks on, then right back off. I removed the relay, jumped the terminals with a wire, just to see if the alt would charge. It does.

Now, how do I go about determining why the new relays are going ka-flooey? I know, its likely junk parts, but what else is possible? Would it hurt anything to leave the jumper wire in place? I figured the relay was to keep load off the ignition switch. I may be in southeast MO, but I dont want to redneck hack it too much.

I have electrical diagrams in the FSM, but they dont do me a lot of good with my lack of training or experience in the field.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Re: Voltage regulating/ Alternator issues

Postby cougar » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:43 am

The auto shutdown relay requires a signal from the crank sensor to turn on. So the engine needs to be running.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby matthewh » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Could be the crank sensor itself.
On my last truck, when I had charging issues, and the O/D started to act up, I replaced everything. Crank sensor, the relays, had the alt checked out, etc. Figure there's enough elec crap I wasn't taking the chances, it was winter, and I needed the truck.
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:04 am

Tested the crank sensor, per Phillip's method on CF. tested good. Even with the engine running, it gets no ignition feed.

I did remove the ASD relay and jump the ignition feed to the relay output to give the alternator the ignition feed it was missing. Drained the battery in 10mi. At dusk. Hammered down on Interstate and speedo never topped 50, lol. So, I am led to believe that whatever drained the battery could be causing the relay to open back up in a second or two when I turn the key?

I have an appointment next week at the dealer, but I know they are going to recommend a new PCM, which had sketchy dependability at best, but I gotta have this thing running. Shoeing out of my wife's 04 is nice when he weather is fair, but it dont have a top.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby matthewh » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Have you checked the 2 elec plugs at the back of the motor? May have a bad connection at a pin, or broken wire. I found several people mention broken wires there when I had issues.
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:46 pm

UPDATE: I buggered up the installation of the first internal regulator, got a second one, and made absolutely SURE it was correct. No charge. Took alt and reg back to the shop I got the reg from and he said the alt was dead as a hammer. He replaced some doohickie inside the alternator, I got an external regulator, and all is well.

While I love the idea of the internal regulator, I am at the point in my life I want readily available and easily replaced.so, I got the $25 BorgWarner regultor from O'Reilley and so far, so good. The ext. regulator is readily available at any parts store nationwide. The intrnal. One is a 3-4 day special order.

DP
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby jogl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:26 am

Mr. Puckett:

You wouldn't have the part number for that external regulator handy would you?

My charging has gone flakey. I'm either seeing 15V or 10V, mostly 10V. 10V does not work my snow plow very well.

Thanks,
JP.
92 W250 and lots of others.
jogl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:13 pm

It's the Borg Warner regulator from O'Reilley for a 90 model CTD.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical