Grid heater relay melted

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Grid heater relay melted

Postby 90chum » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:37 pm

So about a year ago, I had to jump start my truck, and before I closed the hood, I noticed that the one grid heater relay was smoking and melted around the one terminal. I unhooked it and ran on one for the rest of winter and thru summer until a couple months ago I got a used one from a wrecked truck. Put it in and worked fine. Earlier tonight I was under the hood and realized the same terminal of the same relay was completely melted out of the relay. Not sure if it is the grid heater, the power/switching signal, or the relay or ? If anyone has any insight on this or how to test?
1990 w250 RCLB auto-some stuff to make a constant haze, diamond eye 4" straight, 47rh with goerend triple disk and suncoast innerds, body panels and more panels. shes occassionally referred to as a dirty slut, but usually just chum
90chum
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Grid heater relay melted

Postby PToombs » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:02 pm

Large terminal or small? A test light will show if it's the hot terminal or the heater side, the hot side is always hot, even with the key off. I would bet on a bad connection getting hot, corrosion in the wire maybe. Could also be the wire is rubbed on something and shorting out. Need to know which one it is to determine that though.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Re: Grid heater relay melted

Postby 90chum » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:04 pm

It is the front relay, the large wire towards the engine.
1990 w250 RCLB auto-some stuff to make a constant haze, diamond eye 4" straight, 47rh with goerend triple disk and suncoast innerds, body panels and more panels. shes occassionally referred to as a dirty slut, but usually just chum
90chum
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical