Relaying headlights/running lights, small problem

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Relaying headlights/running lights, small problem

Postby swank » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks Pete. I'll start doing that. Also, just poking around under the dash while looking at the wiring diagram, I see that the the "1" post of the turn signal relay is connected to the antilock system. That is, as expected, non-functional. I pulled the lights from it in the "control center" or whatever it's called to make it not be quite so upset. Think those could be related?

Also, the relays are headlights only, nothing else attached.

Ya, the single LED center light and two single LED side lights go on with the flashers. And you can see the opposite upper light faintly coming on too.

I do appreciate your thinking cap on this!!
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby swank » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:18 am

So I found out two annoying things during last night's Adventure Into the Dash(tm):

1. When I decouple (they are soldered together) and unplug the two wires going to the switch that activates the marker and dash light lights, ALL the LED lights flash with the turn signals. And the single LED rounds that flash normally (that aren't supposed to, the center one for instance) are solid while the rest are flashing.

2. Previous owner/s cut wires under dash and left hanging. One I found is key off hot (light yellow-ish in color, solid), also, farther up the marker light wire (black with yellow stripe) than I was using looks like it got caught between a pedal and a hard place and some point, as it's missing a considerable amount of insulation. In a ridiculously hard to get to place as well. I'm seriously considering pulling the entire dash off at this point...
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby matthewh » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:12 pm

If you end up tearing the dash out, and find the harness too far gone to be reliably fixed, I believe I have an extra one out of a late '91 I/C Auto 4x4 truck LE truck. I can look if that ends up being the route you wanna take
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:38 pm

If Matts harness will work in your truck I would jump at it. Then you could go back to the factory light switch, which should be fine since the headlights are on relays and you have LEDs in the back. If you'd like me to list the wire colors for the headlight switch I can do that, I left the FSM here next to the computer. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:28 am

You two are cRAzy...replace an entire harness because of a couple wires? I do appreciate the offer though Matt.

Wire colors would be great Pete.
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:14 pm

swank wrote:You two are cRAzy...replace an entire harness because of a couple wires?

:lol:

This is gonna suck, but I'll do my bestest! ;)
At the light switch, where they come from or go to, and what terminal they should be on at the switch.
red/white, from the fusible link to terminal B1 (hot)
pink/red, from fuse #4 (20 amp) to B2 (hot)
tan, from fuse 14 (3 amp) (think it's hot) to terminal I
black/yellow, from terminal R to all the parking lights, clearance lights, radio, license plate lights, etc.
light green, from terminal H, to terminal 19 on dimmer switch ( the main headlight output)
light green/white, from terminal P, to terminal 21 on dimmer switch (think it's the daytime running lights for Canada)
Light blue, from terminal B3, goes to the buzzer for seatbelts, key in ignition, etc. ( think it's hot for the lights on, key off buzzer) it also loops around thru the "key in" switch and turns into black/light blue and back to--->
Black/light blue, from terminal U, loops to ^ and goes to left door switch (I think these are for the dome lights and are hot, grounded at the door switch)
yellow, from terminal D, to a splice and comes from the dome lights. (think it's the one that turns them on when you turn the switch full left)

I wish my scanner worked so you could see how these go, some of them are darn confusing, the dome lights! :roll: On my truck, the rear lights go thru a smaller plug low behind the clutch pedal, and the front lights go out the main bulkhead up high.
See what you can do with that and we'll go from there.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Pete, sorry for the delay, had a busy week.

Thanks for the breakdown. That seems a lot like the scans I found elsewhere that are pretty clear (at least readably clear, not making sense clear).

All I did was this:

red/white stripe power to the two toggle switches
light green power to headlights
black/white stripe (yellow i guess?) AND tan soldered together to running lights and dash lights

That's it. All the rest of the stuff from the stock lightswitch has been left unplugged.

I'm going to spend some time on this stuff tomorrow too, so I'll report back on what I find.
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby swank » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:25 pm

truck
swank
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:18 pm

I was wondering how it was going or if you burned it. :lol:
Try cutting the tan out from the black/whatever, and verify what the black/ whatever is, white, yellow, or light blue. If it's for sure black/ yellow it should be the tail lights. After looking again, I think the tan is for interior illumination, dash, radio, heater, etc.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:24 am

Hey Pete,

I tried that (post from march 19 at 7.18 am or something my time). Things got REAL weird when I did that.

Here (http://imgur.com/a/svnRS) are some pics I took today.

Just keeps getting better...
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:46 am

Is this an IC truck or not?

First thing I'd do is just extend every actual ground wire you can find to a common post that goes to battery ground. I know the ground wires behind the dash and on the engine-side of the firewall gave me all kinds of fits on my RC before I found them both. I ended up snipping the firewall off and extending them to the battery post. Once that happened, everything started acting normal. I wasn't aware of the dashboard ground, but it comes down just to be left of the ashtray and bolts on there. Once I got a good harness ground it started acting right.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:44 am

Hey Tac,

It is an IC truck, why do you ask?

I found the ground behind the dash, I'll extend that one. Where is the firewall one? I don't remember seeing anything there, but I haven't really been looking either.

Did you look through that album I linked in my last post?

Thanks,
Dave
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:34 pm

I've got the non-ic wiring diagrams in a book and Ellis has the IC'd ones on here, just wondering which I should be looking at.

It's right behind the #6 valve cover, a little sheetmetal screw straight into the firewall.

I saw lots-o-melted stuff, so that's definitely one problem, but with all the back feeding and whatnot I'd say you'll be chasing stuff forever if you don't sort your grounds first. Can't diagnose the main problem if there are others magnifying it. :grin:

Speaking of main problems, you gonna share the story/pics of that wasted turbine housing with the non-FB folks on here? :shock:
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:44 pm

Ok, after looking thru the newest pics I'll add some info that I hope helps. The 1st pic looks like a fusible link bypass to me. 2 and 3 are obvious, he had a lot of lights on and burned it up! 4, The dome light will have power all the time, it's grounded by the door switches and the headlight switch at terminal D, the yellow wire. #5, The pink wire at that plug comes from fuse 15 and feeds the domelight, the wire returning to the switch is the yellow it will show "hot" until it's grounded by the door or headlight switches. Below that black plug the colors turn to black/yellow and black/ pink. The tan turns black/ yellow? That doesn't show in the schematic.
#6, tach is the red like you thought, the green is the halo light timer, the ring around the key that lights up, that controls it, and the blue arrow I'm pretty sure is the ABS diagnostic plug. It's usually fastened to the parking brake handle bracket.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:05 pm

I feel like the one in my hand should be connected to something…

Taco, I certainly can and will. It might be a bit though. I'd rather write something that's actually informative than just put up pics and "hey don't do this" (can you tell I LOVE facefook?).

Pete, thanks for the info, it definitely helps. So that means I can put a switch on the tan/faded yellow/whatever it is, and just have that switch go to ground? Any thoughts on why the light has power when nothing is going on?? Is that just because the LEDs take so little power? Or actually, something else is amuck because if I fasten the dope light to the cab up there, it instantly goes full bright. Not sure if I'm making any sense here?

Also, could the cheap LEDs I got be causing an issue? Allowing power to go through them or something?? Seems like being a light emitting diode would keep that from happening though?
truck
swank
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical