Relaying headlights/running lights, small problem

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Relaying headlights/running lights, small problem

Postby RumbleFish » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:36 pm

I wouldnt doubt cheap leds giving you fits. A coworker/friend of mine was having backfeed issues after he switched to led taillight bulbs in his car. Said the front markers would light up with the brake lights and the turn signals did funky stuff. He switched brands and its been fine since.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:59 pm

That nice braided ground wire in your hand should be attached to the back of the head. :lol:
Yes, make sure the wire is yellow, maybe push the cover back to a cleaner protected spot. And flipping that switch should turn on the dome light, map light, cargo light, etc. Whatever comes on as courtesy lights when you open the door.
I think I'd take the LED bulb out of the dome light and install a regular one until you get things squared away. That system, the dome light, etc, has power because the switches all ground to complete the circuit.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:07 pm

Have you made any progress?
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Fri May 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Hey Pete! Thanks for checking up on me. I have NOT made progress on this at all. Been on complete hold while I finish up my senior design project. Presented it yesterday so I'm thinking about this again. I'll let you know what happens...
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby dr_funk » Sun May 03, 2015 12:25 pm

LEDs wired to the turn signals will do funky stuff with the flashers because they don't pull the same current as incandescent lamps, but there's no difference between cheap LEDs and quality LEDs other than longevity, power output, and color temperature. Electrically, they function exactly the same.
dr_funk
fuel screw!!!!

Postby swank » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:53 am

NEWS FLASH... fixed the problem, kinda. Wired up the trailer lights connector because I needed to haul something and everything magically worked!! WHEN A TRAILER IS CONNECTED. I can have the marker lights on and turn signal going with the trailer connected, pull the plug to the trailer, and the turn signals stop working. This leads me to believe the LEDs do NOT provide enough load (trailer lights are incandescent). So now I need to figure out how to put an artificial load on there. Any ideas? Just add a big resistor inline or what?
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby matthewh » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:59 am

Try a light duty flasher unit, though you may have to swap them out when you haul a trailer.
Another option is you just need more lights to help load the system :D
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Ah Ha! :lol: Do you have LEDs for the front signals? I have the stock lights in front and 4" oval LEDs for tail/ turns in the rear and mine work fine.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks guys, I'll try a cheaper flasher unit, if that doesn't work I'll try putting normal bulbs in the front flashers.
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:23 pm

It will be kind of funny if after all this time and troubleshooting that is all it is. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Richie O » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Get an electronic flasher like some big riggers have. They don't care about load.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby Philip » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:40 am

On our trucks the front turn signals and the front fender marker are connected. The turn signals ground threw the fender markers. You need to separate the marker from the circuit.

Jim L has a thread on TDR on how he removed the marker from the turn signal circuit.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/foru ... ls-287930/

Now if you don't want to do that much wiring. Use a 5 pin relay. Use the factory marker light wire to pin 30. Run the turn signal wire to pin 85. Ground pin 86. Run the new marker power feed wire from pin 87A.

Doing it this way the marker is only on when the headlight switch is pulled out. Jim L's way has the marker working whenever the turn signal is used.

Parts store calls them a no load flasher.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-f ... /overview/
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:19 pm

I guess I'll switch out the marker lights for regular bulbs then, because I already have the "no load" flasher relay. I wonder why the trailer lights make it work then?
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby Philip » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:20 pm

swank wrote:I guess I'll switch out the marker lights for regular bulbs then, because I already have the "no load" flasher relay. I wonder why the trailer lights make it work then?

I don't know why it works with the trailer lights. Those are a different circuit as far as the wiring is concerned. When I changed to LED front turn signals it didn't matter if a trailer was on or not. The crossed circuits in the front caused problems on both ends of the truck. I bet if you towed at night you would have had the same problem. The front turns grounds threw the market circuits. With power on the markers there would be no ground path.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Philip wrote:I don't know why it works with the trailer lights. Those are a different circuit as far as the wiring is concerned. When I changed to LED front turn signals it didn't matter if a trailer was on or not. The crossed circuits in the front caused problems on both ends of the truck. I bet if you towed at night you would have had the same problem. The front turns grounds threw the market circuits. With power on the markers there would be no ground path.

The "normal" circuit definitely does NOT apply here. I pulled the headlight switch and replaced with two toggles. The trailer lights are nothing more than an extension of the flatbed lights at this point. Hauling at night is when I found out hooking a trailer up is what made everything work. I'll post results when I have time to mess with it.
truck
swank
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical