dash and guage problems

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

dash and guage problems

Postby rushbransonsm » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:40 pm

i have a 1990 d250 4x4 5 speed
im having a problem with the dash and guages my temp fuel and spedo work but dont make any sense the fuel guage is not accurate and the spedo works but is incorrect and will not go past 60 mph any suggestions i have added extra grounds and cleaned and greased all conections has any one else had a problem like this -Rush
rushbransonsm
smoke screw?

Re: dash and guage problems

Postby shackwrrr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:40 am

Being the spedometer is mechanical with a cable drive, that issue is going to be separate from the fuel gauge issue. Check the cable for binding or stripped ends, if they are ok, then the speedo has failed internally.

On the fuel gauge, you will need to measure the resistance of the level sender in the tank and verify that measurement at the back of the cluster, if they are ok then you have a gauge or a sender issue. I can look up the resistance range if you would like so you could verify the sender is ok vs the cluster.
1991 w250 RCLB
3 speed auto Non IC truck
shackwrrr
fuel screw!!!!

Re: dash and guage problems

Postby thrashingcows » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 pm

shackwrrr wrote:Being the spedometer is mechanical with a cable drive, that issue is going to be separate from the fuel gauge issue. Check the cable for binding or stripped ends, if they are ok, then the speedo has failed internally.

On the fuel gauge, you will need to measure the resistance of the level sender in the tank and verify that measurement at the back of the cluster, if they are ok then you have a gauge or a sender issue. I can look up the resistance range if you would like so you could verify the sender is ok vs the cluster.

I believe 1989 was the only year they used a cable driven speedo. 90 and up used the VSS and electronic speedo. At least this is what I have found.

Could be a bad VSS sensor off the transmission, or the gears are going out in the back of the speedo. Fuel gauge is probably a bad sender unit.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical