91 d250 dash, lights, accessories all cut out while driving

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

91 d250 dash, lights, accessories all cut out while driving

Postby trevor72 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 pm

I have recently purchased a new to me 1991 d250. Runs well, but has some electrical issues. I loose all power after I've been running the truck for a while, it always happens while driving. I need some help solving my issue and have searched extensively!

It has cut out twice EXACTLY as i hit the turn switch, once right once left) and other times without touching anything. I loose dash lights, head lights and running lights, radio, basically everything except that the truck stays running.

The worst it has been was, once the truck shut off all my electrical and so I pulled into a parking lot and shut it off, and it kept running for about 2-3 seconds (just enough time for me to FREAK OUT.) It would not restart after this. Towed home and the next day, it fired right up as if no problems existed, and I had lights and all electrical back with no changes to the truck.

I could hear some faint electrical noises when i moved my key around in the ignition switch, and from research on here and CompD, DTR, and some CF, I figured replacing the ignition switch was a good bet, so replaced it! Well the problem happened again today on my way to work, the first long trip since the new ignition switch. It turned all my electrical off, and then came back 5 mins later when i was playing with the headlight switch (immediately after pulling the headlight switch to ON.) Weird, I know!

Could this be my multi-switch (turn signal switch) faulting? or am I going in the wrong direction? Is it common to have wires in any part of the harness relating to these functions, rubbed through or shorting on something?

Background:
The truck used to have a trailer brake controller from the stone age with power wire directly from battery on a toggle. I discovered in my first few days of ownership, that if that power wire was removed from the BATT+ the truck would not start!

I since, have removed that brake controller and replaced it with at P2 and everything has gone back to 'normal-ish' operation.

I previously had a turn signal fuse blown, and a brake light circuit fuse blown. I've replaced them and they haven't blown again since. (possibly happened before i owned it or during trailer brake wiring install.

The orange wire out of the duck-foot that used to be fusible linked, has been jumped with normal wire just twisted together. I know this is gross, but it does function and will mimic the same symptoms I'm having if I disconnect it.) Once solved, it will be getting a new fusible link or some form of chicklet fuses, something clean anyway.

Also, I have never had working hazards, haven't found why, but the fuse is good. Not my first concern, but could be related?

Cliffs: see thread title.

All help appreciated!!
trevor72
smoke screw?

Re: 91 d250 dash, lights, accessories all cut out while driving

Postby Philip » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:03 pm

Pull the bottom cover off the steering column. There have been noted problems with the power feeds into the bottom of the multi function switch.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Re: 91 d250 dash, lights, accessories all cut out while driving

Postby trevor72 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Philip wrote:Pull the bottom cover off the steering column. There have been noted problems with the power feeds into the bottom of the multi function switch.

Thanks! Done, every connection under the covers looks clean and never been burned. Didn't bother taking a photo of that area, but I am curious what this box is and if the arrow is pointing to my starter relay? Are the ASD and A/C relays in that black box? The connections were pretty corroded and green so those got cleaned. I also redid a BATT neg ( -) to body ground that was basically falling off. We'll see if that helps any.

trevor72
smoke screw?

Return to Electrical