Battery Still Draining Overnight

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Battery Still Draining Overnight

Postby mhuppertz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:43 pm

I have resorted to pulling the wiring harness connector at the battery every night because I haven't been able to find the leak yet. The only thing left it to pull the alternator wire. I pulled one fuze at a time with no luck. Everything else (electrically speaking) seems to be working fine. The alternator charges fine, the battery hold charge perfectly all weekend as long as the harness is unplugged. Just another annoyance right now...
mhuppertz

Postby dpuckett » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:38 pm

My mom has been having troubel with her 92 discharging overnight or 2days at the most. If she plugs it in, it will start. If she has to wait on the grids, it's a crapshoot- 50/50 at best.

I'll do some digging on the TDR and report back.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:49 pm

Unhook the positive battery cable. Hook a volt meter up. Hook the positive lead to the battery terminal. Hook the negative lead up to the battery cable.

Disconnect the under hood light if you have one. Pull the fuse for the radio and dome light. Those are common things that would pull power in the off condition.

If you show any voltage on th emeter this is a drain. Go to the big one first. Unhook the leads off the alt. All of them. There is a plug about 12' from the alt. Unplug it. That gets the fields. The unhook the main charge wire.

If you drain drops to 0 after you unhook the alt. Then you got lucky. Throw an alt on it and recheck after the new alt is installed. I have gotten bad ones off the shelf before.

Let us know what you find.

BTW do not turn anything on with the meter hooked this way. It might blow the meter.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:31 pm

Bad body/chassis ground will do the same to your battery. Might clean those up, make sure you got one from the frame to tranny bellhousing.
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:22 am

you can go to a big truck store i know the international dealers sell them, and get a remote controle battary disconecter, basicly you put it on the power side and hook it to the wire and at night you hit the botton and
it kills the power
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby GO OVRIT » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:28 pm

If you don't have a multi meter, you can usea test light in line the same way. It dosn't take much to light one, so make sure the radio and dome light are disconnected.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical