1989 D250 can't find harness plug for intermittent wipe box

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

1989 D250 can't find harness plug for intermittent wipe box

Postby essplode » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:14 am

So I've spent the last three weeks un-cobbling the electrical system and wiper/turn signal controls on a D250 I just bought. I replaced the Autozone blinker controls with an OEM stalk and got rid of the hotwired full-speed wiper wiring. When I got the truck there was an intermittent wiper relay in the glovebox, and yesterday I went looking around inside the dash to find the connector for it. I can't for the life of me figure out where to plug it in. I looked at the wiring on the '88 Dakota I got my wiper stalk from and I found the plug but the harness is a bit different.

Does anyone have a solid answer on where this connector should be/what color it is? I know that the relay mounts on the tab next to the back of the ashtray where the connector for the column controls is but I still can't find the plug.
essplode
smoke screw?

Re: 1989 D250 can't find harness plug for intermittent wipe box

Postby CumminsPower59 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:20 am

Apples to oranges, but the wiper control for my 91 is left of the ashtray, next to the radio, tucked up in there.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby essplode » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:34 pm

That's where the mounting tab for mine is too but there's no connector to be found anywhere. Does the connector that goes into the relay plug into a different connector on the harness right away? I have a three pin connector that's right where the wiper control connector should be but it's not the right connector.

Also, should I still have wiper functionality with the relay unplugged?
essplode
smoke screw?

Postby PToombs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:29 pm

I would bet you don't have interval wipers. The old trucks aren't like new ones where they use 1 harness and plug in the options. I added it to my truck, it was a plain jane model with no options at all. The harness had no provisions for cruise or interval wipers so I put them in. The fact that they work without the box is another clue the truck is set up with out them. I had to solder extra wires and splice a couple in to be able to plug in the box, which is a timer, not a relay.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby essplode » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Well, when I got the truck there was an intermittent wiper control in the glovebox. I got a wiper control stalk from an '88 Dakota, and it looks like the number of wires and colors match the harness connector. The wipers don't work at all with the stalk. I guess it's possible that the Dakota wiring is different and I didn't look close enough. I was driving the truck from Florida to Wisconsin last week so I temporarily connected an on/off switch directly to the motor to run them at full speed during a thunderstorm, so I know that the motor's good. If my truck did have the intermittent wiper option from factory, would the wipers still work without the wiper control connected?

Got out to the salvage yard today and had a look at the harness of a W250 with cruise and intermittent wipers. It looks like the difference in wiring is the extra 5 wires coming from the wiper stalk. The wiring from the stalk plugs into the main harness connector, and also has the connector for the intermittent wiper control box. So the reason I can't find the harness connector for the intermittent control box is because I have a wiper stalk that doesn't have the provision for plugging it in.
essplode
smoke screw?

Postby PToombs » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:28 pm

According to the wiring schematic in the '93 FSM, the wiper motors are different. 1 shows what looks like a circuit breaker internal in the unit and the other does not. I used my regular motor and it worked fine.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Your truck being an '89 may be different than my '92 also. They changed wiring quite a bit in between them.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical