Not getting power to messaging center

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Not getting power to messaging center

Postby branumhawk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:11 am

My clock spring got toasted during a steering box event, and I put in a Dorman 525-104 replacement. I found a link somewhere that showed how to cut the plug and wire it somewhat differently but when I got it undone my wire colors did not all match of course. My main objective was to get the horn and auto cancelling of the turn signals back working and that is done. Even though I did not cut or change any wires going into connector as instructed, I just plugged it in like it was.

I tested the horn it worked, the turn signal was mechanical, so I put it together and started truck up. First start the the usual messaging center lights come on, the heater clicks and she fires up. Next start I have no lights on message center at all. Also the 4x4 indicator lights no longer light up when I engaged it. The heater still clicks, I believe, and truck starts up and runs great. I checked all the fuses in box, unplugged clock spring connector and still same.

One thing i notices is on ignition harness I have one constant hot wire RD/blk and a black/pink wire that occasional reads 12 volts switched and sometimes not.

I don't see any evidence of burn traces or resistors on the message center pcb, and the 4x4 indicator is just a bulb and a separate wire. So it seems I have a power wire issue, just not sure where to trace it back to.

That is the problem I am trying to fix today. My truck is a 93 W250 with 5spd

Related issues that may or not be relevant to above.

The speedo bounced around and quit a month ago and chucking the sensor cable into drill with power on doesn't bump it a bit.
The PO had soldered one of the f. links on duck foot (orange on outside) to another lead and occasionally I have to bump it to get those same lights to come on when trying to start it. The motor wont turn until it clicks, the lights come on and it starts.

I have an engine harness from a 92 d250 that I was going to use to swap it out, or remove the fuse links and install inline fuse connections. May get to that sooner than I thought :lol:

Now, it clicks and starts without the lights.

Thanks for any and all help. Have a great day.
93 W250 getrag single cab.
branumhawk
smoke screw?

Re: Not getting power to messaging center

Postby branumhawk » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:55 pm

Fixed.

Turned out to be bad connection in fuse box under dash. Maybe moving it during installation of clock spring, who knows. Had continuity across 10 amp fuse, but voltage going in and not coming out.

Downloaded rest of wiring diagrams and looked at the simplest circuit first, the 4x4 indicator. Tracing that back found the weak spot.

All good in the neighborhood.
93 W250 getrag single cab.
branumhawk
smoke screw?

Return to Electrical