Fuel gauge grief

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Fuel gauge grief

Postby D-dog357 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:22 pm

My fuel gauge has never worked right but now it is toast. I had to pull the tank to put in a new fuel pick-up, so I figured fix it too. Cleaned and adjusted the sending unit so it has good contact and reads from 100 to about 800 ohms but the gauge stays at empty. The needle is very stiff to move by hand and moves slowly past empty if I move it to 1/2 tank and then turn on the power. Would giving it a bit of WD40 make the needle move better ? All the other gauges work fine as do the dash lights.

Any suggestions ?
'92 ex-cab, A/T, 3.56, timing bumped 1/4" , 366 w/ fuel 1/2 turn past collar, smoke all the way out and a ported HX hot side. Airbox and core support drilled for more cold air.
A no budget work truck.
D-dog357
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Fuel gauge grief

Postby PToombs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:49 pm

You mean the needle on the gauge is stiff? You can try lubing it with a light oil, I wouldn't use WD, that stuff doesn't have much lubricational properties. You could just replace the gauge, they are easy to do and common used. One from any dodge truck or van the same vintage (mid 80's to '93) is the same.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Re: Fuel gauge grief

Postby D-dog357 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:25 pm

So the needle is suppose to move freely = that's what I thought. The temp and voltage gauges both move smoothly and the OP is a little tight too.

Thanks much for the reply. Time to hit the salvage yards.
'92 ex-cab, A/T, 3.56, timing bumped 1/4" , 366 w/ fuel 1/2 turn past collar, smoke all the way out and a ported HX hot side. Airbox and core support drilled for more cold air.
A no budget work truck.
D-dog357
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical