Charging issue. I think?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Charging issue. I think?

Postby kyled19 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:47 pm

I have a 93 d350 that a couple of weeks ago "stopped charging" the gauge no longer showed that it had voltage and all the electronics in the cab quit working. I replaced the alternator and still nothing so I had it tested and they said it was good. I checked the battery to block ground and the alternator to block ground and they were both tight. I did the test where you remove the field coil circuit and run jumper wires to the battery and that did make it start charging it jumped to 17v almost instantly. I then did the test where you probe the field coil wires with a test light, test light to dark blue wire "positive" clamp to ground then test light to dark green wire "ground" and clamp to positive, both wires would light up the test light. Correct me if I'm wrong but this should mean everything in the alternator circuit is functioning properly. If the crank positioning sensor was not working it would not tell the pcm to send the ground signal and if the asd relay was not working I would not have power at the positive wire of the field coil. Also being that I had a ground signal this should mean that the regulator in the pcm is functioning properly. Is there something that I am missing? or is my problem something other than the charging system.

P.S. The battery was staying at a pretty constant 11.89v for about 3-5 minutes while the truck was running. Also my fass lift pump is working just fine, only the components in the cab of the truck stopped working. The wait to start light also stays on while the truck is running and the truck has no issues cranking over.
93 d350 extened cab dually dennyt stage 2, 3200 rpm gov spring, intake, 4 inch exhaust, he351cw, fass lift pump, and an a518. 4th gen seats
kyled19
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Charging issue. I think?

Postby PToombs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Sounds like a fusible link let go. Did you check the fuses? See if the fuse box itself has power, IIRC there are 2 feeds so it may be dead on 1 section.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby kyled19 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:02 pm

I checked the fusable links on the driver side fender well. They seemed to be intact. I have not checked power to the fuse box I will have to try that next.
93 d350 extened cab dually dennyt stage 2, 3200 rpm gov spring, intake, 4 inch exhaust, he351cw, fass lift pump, and an a518. 4th gen seats
kyled19
fuel screw!!!!

Postby kyled19 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:11 pm

I checked the fuse box and it has power running to it. After fiddling with things a little more it seems as though everything in the cab has power to it it is just not enough to make anything work. My pillar gauges will receive enough power to turn on every once and a while but the radio, windows, and door locks are still not working. Could this just be a bad battery? I have no idea what to do at this point.
kyled19
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Sounds more like a bad ground. Curse of the gen 1 trucks! :lol: Ok, ground locations, battery to engine and to core support, back of head to firewall, under the dash right of the steering column should be a few wires screwed to a metal bracket. Alternator to front of head. I think I'm missing 1.
The one for the rear lights is on the back of the frame on the drivers side. That shouldn't affect anything in the cab though.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby kyled19 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:19 am

OK thank you! I will start hunting for bad grounds.
kyled19
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical