Rebuild Speedometer Head

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Rebuild Speedometer Head

Postby abledog » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:15 am

I just purchased a new to me 92 W-250 that has a problem with the speedo. When you turn the ignition on the speedo needle jumps up to 30 mph.
I swaped the distance sensor with one that I know is good but this did not solve the problem. The contiuity of the wiring from the distance sensor to the plug at the dash checks out good. Soooo...I think I have a problem withe the speedometer head.
My Question is has anyone had there speedometer head rebuilt, what was the outcome and would you recomend the shop that did the work?????
Thanks
Terry
1990 W250 Original owner Purchased New 10/89
92 W250 Purchased12/07 Proof of how much abuse and neglect a 1st gen trucks can take and continue to run. She's be rode hard and put up wet and in dire need of some TLC.
abledog
fuel pin?

Re: Rebuild Speedometer Head

Postby flashgordon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:26 am

abledog wrote:I just purchased a new to me 92 W-250 that has a problem with the speedo. When you turn the ignition on the speedo needle jumps up to 30 mph.
I swaped the distance sensor with one that I know is good but this did not solve the problem. The contiuity of the wiring from the distance sensor to the plug at the dash checks out good. Soooo...I think I have a problem withe the speedometer head.
My Question is has anyone had there speedometer head rebuilt, what was the outcome and would you recomend the shop that did the work?????
Thanks
Terry

Dose any of the other gauge do any thing like that .
Have you checked the Ground side of the speedo

I don't thing it would affect it that way............But i would check the ground side for contiuity..... maybe even run a temp ground to make sure.

I had one that when you turned on the turn signal the the tach would bounce, and turning on the head light really made it go nuts!

After a day of chase in it around and decided to run a ground direct from the battery.................Well i found it!!!!!!

That nice little ground wire that comes of of you battery to the chase........It was stripped. put a larger screw in it, Problem solved!!!

This was on a gasser but still would be worth giving it a double check

Flash
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby abledog » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Flash:
The coolent temp gauge is swinging around quite a bit. I was geting ready to change the thermostat. In your post you ask about other gauges acting funny and this got me to thinkig. I checked the wiring diagran and the spedometer and engine temperature gauge both come off of the same plug on back of the gauge panel. I'm going to try the external ground wire and see what happens. You may have solved two problems for me. Thanks
Terry
1990 W250 Original owner Purchased New 10/89
92 W250 Purchased12/07 Proof of how much abuse and neglect a 1st gen trucks can take and continue to run. She's be rode hard and put up wet and in dire need of some TLC.
abledog
fuel pin?

Postby flashgordon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:33 pm

abledog wrote:Flash:
The coolent temp gauge is swinging around quite a bit. I was geting ready to change the thermostat. In your post you ask about other gauges acting funny and this got me to thinkig. I checked the wiring diagran and the spedometer and engine temperature gauge both come off of the same plug on back of the gauge panel. I'm going to try the external ground wire and see what happens. You may have solved two problems for me. Thanks
Terry

Just make sure you go directly of the battery with the ground test......so you don't have any variables or false info ;)

Flash
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical