Please Help!!!! confusion info for starter relay

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Please Help!!!! confusion info for starter relay

Postby mattme » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:32 am

So I am down to wiring and other stuff on the 6bt swap and I am getting confusing info regarding the starter relay. I downloaded the 91.5 diagrams and compared them to my truck (1989) and found a discrepence.

On the starter relay there is 2 yellow wires, one goes to the engine controller and I do not know where the other goes but the wiring diamgrams show that wire as only one wire.

Could someone look at there truck and see what the yellow wire does? It is a hot wire, if so hot in start, start/run? Or is it a ground wire?

The donor truck wa an 89 2wd auto truck.

The connector is shown as

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/1991.5-W ... Scan06.jpg

The only difference is that mine has only one brown/yellow wire and 2 yellow wires.

Thanks,

Matt
mattme
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Please Help!!!! confusion info for starter relay

Postby flashgordon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:57 pm

mattme wrote:So I am down to wiring and other stuff on the 6bt swap and I am getting confusing info regarding the starter relay. I downloaded the 91.5 diagrams and compared them to my truck (1989) and found a discrepence.

On the starter relay there is 2 yellow wires, one goes to the engine controller and I do not know where the other goes but the wiring diamgrams show that wire as only one wire.

Could someone look at there truck and see what the yellow wire does? It is a hot wire, if so hot in start, start/run? Or is it a ground wire?

The donor truck wa an 89 2wd auto truck.

The connector is shown as

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/1991.5-W ... Scan06.jpg

The only difference is that mine has only one brown/yellow wire and 2 yellow wires.

Thanks,

Matt

The positive bat cable has a 2 prong connector that the starter wire go's thru

I don't thing it go the the computer but the key switch its self and then back thru the 2nt post of the connector on it way down to the starter. It is taped to the main power cable going to the start.(You are taking about the signal side of the start right?)

Flash
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mattme » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:01 pm

Flash,

Thanks for the info, I see the wire taped to the main starter lead. I figured that went from the relay to the soleniod. I got that side figured out. I am interested in the yellow wire on the starter relay. I believe the yellow wire is either the power signal wire or the ground for the relay.

The problem is that the yellow wire also runs to the engine controller.

Thanks,

Matt
mattme
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:10 pm

In my 93 FSM, 1 wire comes from the ignition switch, 1 to the PCM and the neutral (or clutch) switch. Same as the one you linked to. Yellow from switch, brown / yellow stripe to PCM and neutral switch. I think the wire goes to the pcm to tell the computer whats going on.
If you are wireing from scratch, it doesn't matter which side of the relay is + or -.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical