Speedometer fer Old Ugly

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Speedometer fer Old Ugly

Postby GHarman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:21 am

Well here goes! Old ugly got rewired over the last week by a professional. The engine wire loom was completely removed and repaired. The Speedometer, however has not worked since Cummins Rocky Mountain did the pan gasket/cam replacement last fall :evil: . A long story that was not posted on this web site. It started with a clutch replacement and has snowballed into a nightmare. I do recognize some signatures here :D .
Question??? Where can I get another speedometer? A new sending unit was installed, to no avail! GregH
'91.5 Dodge Ram 250, "Old Ugly", R.I.P., 26 Feb, 2009. New Ugly takes up the slack!
GHarman
fuel screw!!!!

Deluxe Speedometer

Postby Ace » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:51 am

If you can't find one in a scrapyard, there's a place called Deluxe Speedometer down in Denver around Speer and W. Colfax that had tons of old speedo gear laying around last time I was there getting one of the cars certified.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi Greg, does the trip meter work? I remember seeing threads about the gears inside the speedo stripping teeth. Could be coincidence with the other work?
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Replacement Speedometer found

Postby GHarman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Hey all! PToombs, Ace! Thanks fer lookin' in on me! I called around today and found a 91 instrument cluster at Denver Truck Parts fer $70.00. D&D Auto Electric in Wheatridge, Colorado has been doing the electrical work fer me. Doug, the Proprietor has done a real work on this nightmare. He also got into the dash and replaced bulbs and a corroded fuseable link in the left fender wiring harness. Cleaned terminals and installed the replacement instrument cluster. Everything works that worked before it was torn down! We will drive it home tomorrow night. Nothing like a shakedown after dark in a possible blizzard :D :grin: .Will be close to a Diesel fuel supplier that has Bio-Diesel. Gonna fill up with that concoction and see how it runs. 30 cents cheaper than the straight stuff. GregH
PS, I wonder if the original instrument cluster, namely the speedometer/odometer could be rebuilt?
'91.5 Dodge Ram 250, "Old Ugly", R.I.P., 26 Feb, 2009. New Ugly takes up the slack!
GHarman
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Maybe, depending on what's wrong with it. If it's the gears, like mentioned, yup. Beyond that, I don't know, I've never been into one.

Have a safe trip home with it! :thumleft:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Good Shakedown!!!

Postby GHarman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 am

The truck ran like is was supposed to :grin: . Had to lock it into 4X4 coming home in the storm. Everything that was supposed to light up, DID! Message center, cab lighting, radio works 8) . Got tunes :lol: . Only thing I needed the flashlight fer was the hubs! Changing out the speedometer cluster makes the odometer reading confusing but I will have a record and the old cluster ifn I sell the old monster in a few years. PToombs, I believe the problem with the old cluster is electrical?
In my experience with this truck and the electrical problems, both historical and present. Doug at D&D Auto electric has been the most thorough electrical technician I have ever encountered. I can't say enough about how this man helped me out. I have been without a 4X4 because of electrical problems for 4 months. In Colorado, that is not good! If you are in the Denver Metro area and have electrical problems and are like me, LOST! Dougs shop (D&D Auto Electric) is located at 10920 W. 44th Avenue Wheatridge, Colorado 80033. His phone is 303-423-6522. East of the I-70 and Ward road exit on 44th Avenue. GregH
GHarman
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Greg, good to hear everything worked! ;) On the cluster, sounds like you have the right idea, keep the old one and run it! If you had time to play with it, you could swap out parts between clusters to figure out what's bad. I know I don't have time! :cry:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Shakedown continues

Postby GHarman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:33 am

Been driving the truck around the back roads over to the shop, busted through some snow drifts in 4X4 and some backing, manuvering , repeated engine stops and restarts, 2 cold starts and in general the truck runs really good. No electrical issues so far. Speedometer/odometer working perfectly! When I was in town with the truck I ran it through a radar controlled area and matched speed with the radar unit. The Speedometer reads 1-2 MPH faster than the radar. Close enough fer me, on the right side of error :) ! GregH
GHarman
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical