Help: battery, starter or maybe alternater Issues

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Help: battery, starter or maybe alternater Issues

Postby 90cummins » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:58 am

I can't figure out what's going on with my pickup, the battery started dying on me a couple months ago and i swapped it out and it was ok for a while, then i replaced the plunger and contacts on the starter solenoid which helped then i stopped driving it for a while cause it kept dying and 3 days ago i put in a new alternator and a second battery and it still keeps dying and i don't know what the next move is... any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks...
90 Dodge W250, non-IC -- Dual 3" Exhaust, 4" Cold Air Intake, 3200 Spring, Bully Dog injectors, Gauges, Deep Trans pan
90cummins
fuel pin?

Postby Philip » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:31 pm

Well this can get involved. You are going to need a volt meter.

If your truck has a under hood light unhook it. Pull the dome light bulb out.Pull the fuse for the radio.

Unhook the positive terminal from the battery. Hook the positive lead from the meter to the battery. Hook the negative lead of the meter to the battery cable. If you show any voltage on the meter you have something on.

Start pulling fuses out. (Make a note of where the come from). LOL
Look at the meter each time you pull a fuse. When you see the voltage drop off on the meter. That is the circuit that needs attention.

If all the fuse being pulled doesn't drop the voltage showing on the meter. Unhook the alt. I have seen bad alt's drain back threw themselfs from a blown diode.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Boy, sounds like I get to have fun with Mom's truck. We thought the radio being left on did it, but it drained overnight at the shop when we got a "pencil" inspection for it. I didnt have time this week, but after I get the 4x4 dually running, I may swap with her for a while and see what's up (she's had water over the road, and been flooded in about half the time since we got a foot of rain in a day 2 weeks ago). That's after selling the Green Goober, fixing up the 3/4ton, renting the apartment (kids are moving out of the one). Fun, fun, fun.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical