Ignition Wire grounding out??

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Ignition Wire grounding out??

Postby Diesel Nut » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:26 am

Ok, driving the 91.5 to the welding store to get Oxygen. Truck just dies. Radio is off, key does nothing. Lights and hazards still work. Key in with door open buzzer still works.

So, under the hood it looks like the PO had a fusable link fail, and they ran a new wire to the battery on a 30 amp fuse and tapped into the wire going into the harnes plug on the firewall. OK. Well, that wire is the RED, supplies 12v to the ignition switch. Keeps blowing fuses in the aftermarket wiring installed. Tow it back to the shop with the 06, start checking things out. The BLUE wire from the key which is the 12V output from the ignition switch is showing ground. WTF? SO, yard the whole wiring harness out of the cab only to find that the corelating wire under the hood also shows ground.
Any ideas where that wire could be grounding out under the hood. So far I have traced it all the way to the passenger side of the truck. By then, time to go home and make dinner for the old lady. So, I will be playing with it again today. Thoughts?
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4
1991.5 250 Reg cab - Parts Runner
1990 350 Reg cab - Wants to be fast
www.dieselnut.com
Amsoil Dealer
Diesel Nut
fuel pin?

Postby Diesel Nut » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Think I have it nailed - Stop/start solenoid is fried, shorted out. I will change that out and see what happens.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4
1991.5 250 Reg cab - Parts Runner
1990 350 Reg cab - Wants to be fast
www.dieselnut.com
Amsoil Dealer
Diesel Nut
fuel pin?

Return to Electrical