No speedo = no overdrive?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

No speedo = no overdrive?

Postby peobryant » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:37 pm

I was driving to my girlfriends house today when I noticed my speedo had stopped working. The truck was running fine so I didn't think anything of it. When I got on the highway and got the truck up to speed she wouldn't shift into overdrive. No matter how high I revved the engine it wouldn't shift. So I finally got to my girlfriends house and let it sit for a couple hours. When I got back in to leave, the sppedo was working again and she would shift into overdrive. Sorry for the long post but any ideas on what could have happened and why it fixed itself? I guess its time to put in a 5spd :lol:

Thanks again.
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby SNOOT » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:20 pm

Its the speed pick-up or the drive gears in the tranny. Either way you just replace the sender and or the gear pretty simple job. Look under the truck if you have a 4x4 its on the transfer case if 2 x2 its on the tranny.
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:03 am

If it's erratic, check your wiring and connections first. ALWAYS start simple (less expensive) and work your way up. The VSS is like $80 now from Dodge. I wouldnt get one from a parts store.

And yes, the odometer has to work in order to go into OD. Unless you have done some modifications to the OD circuitry....

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical