ignition switch issues?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

ignition switch issues?

Postby Lee Majors » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:15 am

Ok so a few days ago my trucks buzzer went haywire! When I put the key in the ignition a buzzer would go off...I guess this is normal as each vehicle makes its own noise wether a dinger or buzzer. (this truck is new to me only had it a couple weeks) Now 3-4 days ago this buzzer that goes on when I put the key in the ignition would go off in about 10-15 seconds...now if the truck isn't running the buzzer will stay on. The key won't come out of the ignition so I can't stop it that way. And recently when I tried pulling the key out the complete round switch started to pull its self out of the column. When I would pull the ignition switch out a tad it would stop the buzzing so I was content with that since it solved my issue momentarely.

Once my ignition switch started playing this funny bone deal with pulling outwards an 1" the buzzing would start sounding like two buzzers going off at once...sounding EXACTLY like someone was playing a bag pipes.

today I had starting issues the truck wouldn't fire over so I let it cool down for a while and now I went back out to start it and now when I push the swtich back in and go to turn I have nothing. No buzzing,no lights, no turn signals just plain no power. Did my switch just brake? If so I have a push button start swtich from a race car can I hook that up somehow to bypass the ignition swtich? This one has a flip switch on top and a push button on bottom.

Fuses are good
1991.5 D350 dually flatbed stock
Lee Majors
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Lee Majors » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:27 am

Are there fuses under the hood? If so I coudln't find them I did check under the dash...all looked fine.

Still no noise no clicking no nothing when you turn the key...just dead key

Is there anyway to jump start this truck to bypass the key? At this point it has left me stranded in my driveway blocking the garage.
Lee Majors
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPride » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:47 am

You would need to jump the fuel selinoid with a constant 12V. This give you the fuel supply, then mearly jump the starter selinoid to roll it over. Once this is done the shut off will be performed by the manual lever on the side of the pump or by simply removing the hot wire to the selinoid.
06 3500 AT Mega Cab SRW 4X4
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Lee Majors » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:26 pm

Does it sound like my ignition switch is toast? What would be a constant 12V soarce?

I appologize in advance. Im completly ignorant when it comes to electrical stuff! I mean 100% I know nothing....if my truck does not start im completly stumped.
Lee Majors
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Lee Majors » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Just messing with the truck a little while ago and when I pulled the key out the ingnition came with it...not sure what you call it? tumbler? the round peice that the key goes into.

Since I can tell this part is broken I wonder how to convert this truck over to push button start. I have the push botton along with the flip ignition switch.

How would that work with all the accesories that run off the ignition switch like radio,lights etc??
Lee Majors
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Lee Majors » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:06 am

How easy is it to go get a ingnition barrel/key assembly and just throw it in? What happens if I put it in the wrong way? will it be stuck ?
Lee Majors
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Lee Majors » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:22 pm

So I put a new key/tumbler thing in my truck and it will now crank. Battery was dead from trying to crank the truck the other day. So I put it on a trickle charger...now the key seems to get really hot just sitting there while the charger is on.

Could I have done something wrong when putting the new assembly in? I still can't get even the new key out of it now? its stuck
Lee Majors
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Lee Majors » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:02 pm

still can't get the new key out of the ignition. What makes them stick in? also a buzzer goes off in the interior anytime a door is open is this normal? only what to shut the buzzer off is to close the door.
Lee Majors
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical