AC/ Heat issues

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

AC/ Heat issues

Postby dpuckett » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:52 am

I finally have my W350 up far enough mechanically that last week I started it up and tried to turn on the AC. Nothing. Replaced bad fuse. Blew the fuse. It was starting to rain, so I left it for the time. WHere should I start looking?

I was thinking try it on VENT first and see if it still pops. If not, I know it's in the AC circuit. If so, it's elsewhere. Then unplug the blower motor and do the same thing. What else is there to check? common problems?

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby GO OVRIT » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Can you turn the compressor by hand? It could be a bad blower motor resistor or a blower motor. Possibly a bad compresor clutch switch. It can always be a bare wire somewhere too.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:13 pm

I got into it today, and narrowed it to the control unit head. Are these repairable? Or do I just get a new one? Unless I could get one locally for nearly free, used is out of the question.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

UPDATE

Postby dpuckett » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:55 pm

I swapped a known good AC heat control unit from my d350 to my W350, and the control unit wasnt the problem. As long as I turn nothing on, I am fine. The instant I push the VENT button, 'POP' goes the fuse. With everything else unhooked, and a known good control unit, this tells me it's in the wiring.

When installing my headlight switch (W350), I noticed the little black single spade connector (with 2 wires going to it) had one wire with the insulation burned off it; the other wire was fine. Could this be related to my AC issues? As far as I can tell in my diagrams, the grounds all run together onto one common point.

I hooked an ohmmeter to the hole for the fuse. I stopped at 1000ohms. The wiring looks good, no obvious burned connections (anywhere along the line). What gives? I am at a loss now, short of tearing all the tape off every wire loom that is even remotely related to the AC, but I dont want to if there is an alternative. The instant fuse popping makes me think it is grounding out somewhere......

Any ideas? Electrical stuff hits me about mid-forehead- I understand some of it, but most of it is beyond my current skill level.

DP
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:02 pm

Daniel check all grounds. The burnt wire by the headlite switch is the clue. Something too much is grounding thru that wire.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:00 am

Pete, you were right. I unhooked all the cobbling by the previous owner(s), and redid that ground, and now all is well.

As an added bonus, the AC is almost as cold as the Dakota. :grin: I went down interstate yesterday, and even with the evening sun shining on me, never got too warm in the cab. These ACs just arent made for 134A with a club cab and OEM sized (R12) components.

DP
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Sometimes I get it right! 8) Glad you got it fixed. It sucks without AC. It's been 90 and sticky here for the 2nd day, tomorrow too, plus T-storms.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical