low voltage reading on gauge

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

low voltage reading on gauge

Postby xpetecx » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:08 am

I took my truck for a ride last night for the first time in about a week. Its getting colder out so the grid heater came on as usual and all seemed fine till the grid heater went off and the voltage gauge never came up.

The entire time I was driveing it all the lites seemed realy dim. So what is causesing this? Ive read somewere awhile ago that the older first gens have an external voltage regulator that is not in the pcm. I have an early 91.

Also were is the voltage regulator? Is it the chrome box on the fire wall or is it some were else?
xpetecx
fuel pin?

Postby cummins king » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:23 am

Thats the one, and dont mess the wires up, there not 7 bucks any moe the 55 from the dealer.
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby SNOOT » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:29 am

If you have an intercooled truck check the following first.

Will your trucks A/C come on still?
Will it go into overdrive?
Will its cruse control work?

If none of the above work then you may just have a crank shaft pick-up gone bad.

If its needed I have a spare alternator dont ask why I have a good used one laying around.

Lance Seattle, WA.
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby xpetecx » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:37 am

So I went out and found a few things out. Im pretty sure Ive got two problems now.

The frist the truck definitely is not charging. 12 volts not running, 11.7 running. My next question is how do I tell if its the alternater or the voltage regulator?

The second problem, my grid heater wires started to melt. There not melted yet but the rubber caps on the nuts over the realy are deffiently deformed. I unhooked the relays from the batteries just in case. Im thinking of just doing away with the heater all together. I dont drive the truck in the winter anyways and its more of a toy then any thing. If I have my way it will be breaking hearts at the dragstrip.

SNOOT my truck does not have an intercooler, or AC, or overdrive or crusie control, or a crank sensor, But I do appricate the help. As for the alternator I might be getting in touch with you about that depending.
xpetecx
fuel pin?

Postby SNOOT » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:56 pm

In this case your voltage regulator is center on the firewall above the last valve cover.

Sounds like also one of your grid heaters is getting stuck on..
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby xpetecx » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:46 am

Yeah thats what I was thinking about the heater. I check continuity from the wires on the battery to the relay and only one had it, so im kinda assuming that the fuseable link is blown on the other one.

how does the heater get stuck on? and more importantly how does it get fixed?
1991 D250 727 pump screwed also with a 366 spring.
xpetecx
fuel pin?

Postby Ace » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:21 am

I believe I heard somewhere Dodge no longer carrys the relays, but if you are lucky and they are not totally shot, they can be repaired:

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Grid_Heater_Relays/

Also, I believe there is a generic replacement available from an electrical supply house somewhere. You could search for that on DTR, where I recall seeing it awhile back.

This is all assuming of course, the heater elements themselves are still intact. I may have these parts for sale in the spring, if it turns out I don't need them. Waiting to see how it starts in the cold without them later in the year...
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby xpetecx » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:19 am

My alternator is deffinatly shot. so I need a new one. I had one on my last truck rebuilt but I think I want a new one for this truck. Does any one know were I can get one?

I too am going to see how well my truck starts in the cold with out the heaters. Like I said I dont drive it in the winter, but I do drive it when it is cold. I will just have to wait and see. heck i might even have to tear them all out of there and redo my intake for better flow, and if im doing that I might as well get a bigger turbo. If I do that Im gonna need a trans too.

Wow. This is getting serious realy fast.
1991 D250 727 pump screwed also with a 366 spring.
xpetecx
fuel pin?

Return to Electrical