2000 watt inverter behind my seat

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

2000 watt inverter behind my seat

Postby Begle1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:07 pm

So I got a 2000 watt inverter, which comes out to around 170 amps, which comes out to at least 2 gauge at 20 feet.

Think that much current is safe to ground to the frame. :?

Or do I mount a second battery in the toolbox or behind the seat, only run a couple feet of wire between the battery and the inverter, then run smaller wire to the battery for sake of charging? If I do that I gotta buy another $100 Optima, which is almost cheaper (and almost lighter) than buying 40 feet of 2 gauge.

Hmmm...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby burnt_servo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am

i've got a 600 watt inverter on the transmision tunnel of my '91 w150 .

i run it directly off of the battery , both positive and negitive wires just to avoid issues of poor grounding .

2000 watts .... is your alternator heavy enough to handle that ?
'93 w250 .... stock ...
curently removing the dead moose parts ....
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:04 pm

My alternator shouldn't be heavy enough to handle that, no.

Stock alternator is 120 amps, right? Whereas 2000 watts at 12 volts would be 167 amps.

I'm gonna mount an Optima red top right next to the inverter, put a foot of big cable between the two, then use the 4 gauge I have running to my amp behind the seat to charge the second battery.

First I need to see whether or not the power washer is going to trip the inverter's breaker whenever I turn it on, though. From what I hear, electric motors like to do that.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical