Fuel Heater

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Fuel Heater

Postby Begle1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:41 pm

When is the fuel heater on?

Is it always on or only below a certain temperature?

Does it really do any good?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Ace » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:17 pm

I don't know, but I lost mine when I went to relocated filter setup two years ago and drove in some pretty cold temps since (0f) with no problem. I suppose it would help to keep it running or help prevent the filter from plugging as it was already running. But I think if the fuel is gonna gel, you're gonna get stuck sooner or later regardless of that heater.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:22 am

At minimum I suggest unplugging it.
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby cougar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:14 am

The fuel heater has an internal thermostat that cycles it. It doesn't get hot, but hot enough to keep the wax from clogging the filter. In cols climates like mine, you need it mainly for start up and warm up.
http://www.arctic-fox.com/
makes in-line fuel heaters that work quite well when the Husk's are huddling.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:29 pm

The cool thing about these engines is that they have fuel return systems on them, so, theoretically, if the engine is running fuel is always moving.
Liquid, especailly oily liquid creates friction within itself, so if it's in motion, it's creating it's own 'heat' so to speak.
After about 10-15 minutes the fuel is usually warmer than air temperature, or even double it.

I once converted a '74 1 ton C&C 1-ton over to '92 Cummins power and never even KNEW about the heater above the fuel filter.
I had to lay over up in the Rockies near Loveland in January of '05, with temps around -20 below and it didn't gell and fired right off the next morning.
I did get the coolant a bit warm with a generator to run the block heater for an hour before I fired it up.

Never had one gell, but I have fallen victim to the cleaning attributes of Bio-Diesel and how it can lead to plugged filters. :(

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Return to Electrical