Pyrometer

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby 93_Fummins » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:20 am

Ace wrote:Quoted from Autometer installation instructions:

2. With the probe installed, the wire harness can now be routed to the gauge. The wire harness is an integral part of the pyrometer
calibration. It may not be shortened or lengthened without affecting the gauge calibration."

If I'm not mistaken, that's because Autometer gauges use stepper motor movements on their electric gauges and are calibrated for specific voltage inputs down to a few decimals. The other reason they suggest that the lead wires not be altered in length is that not everyone has Nisil or Inconel splicing couplers to splice the wires back together. Any different metal introduced in the communication path of the thermocouple will affect the reading as the current goes through the different resistivities. From what I understand, the introduction of a copper splice connector will throw off the readings more than the actual alteration in length. At least that is what I understand from my experience being an intern in a thermocouple manufacturing facility...
93_Fummins

Postby Ace » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:38 am

So I suppose it might be useful to know if that gauge the OP is asking about is of the stepper motor variety, then...

Maybe the Autometer instructions should be modified to say the wires "may be shortened or lengthened only by using Nisil or Inconel splicing couplers..." :P

Don't tell us your Fummnis lacked a thermocouple while you worked at a thermocouple manufacturing facility! :sad:
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby Ace » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:47 am

Philip wrote:I... Type K wire isn't sensitive to length differences.

Just curious Philip, exactly what is "type-K wire? Is it related to that Nisil stuff 93Fummins mentions? Can I get it at True Value Hardware? :lol:
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:53 am

Ace wrote:So I suppose it might be useful to know if that gauge the OP is asking about is of the stepper motor variety, then...

The gauge was manufactured by S.S. White Technologies. Thats all I know.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby 93_Fummins » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:08 am

Ace wrote:Don't tell us your Fummnis lacked a thermocouple while you worked at a thermocouple manufacturing facility! :sad:

Trust me, one of the first mods I made was a thermocouple...and I have a few spares just in case ;-)

Ace wrote:Just curious Philip, exactly what is "type-K wire? Is it related to that Nisil stuff 93Fummins mentions? Can I get it at True Value Hardware?

Correction on my part: Type K thermocouples and lead wires are made up of a positive Chromel wire and a negative Alumel wire. The sensors I worked with were the super-high temp probes used in industrial DPF systems and they used Inconel and Nisil wires. Same concept, different materials... I'll let someone else chime in on how it works though, because I'm through being mocked......for now
93_Fummins

Postby Ace » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:12 am

Well, at least we got to the crux of the matter before making the old "don't worry, it's all good" call. And for the record 93, it was not my intention to mock you - just a lame attempt at humor.... 8)
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby Ace » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:26 am

Not knowing exactly what sort of gauge we're talking about, anyone still not leaning in this direction?
Ace wrote:I'd ask where the lead wires are. They are a matched set and need to be of a certain length.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Shooting from a hip, would it be correct that pyrometers with only the thermocouple inputs would be much more sensitive to wiring differences than pyrometers with a 12 volt supply on top of the thermocouple inputs?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Since it comes with 2 thermocouples and the guage, just make the lead wires the same length for each. Doesn't sound like rocket science to me.
But then, I'm not a rocket scientist! ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Richie O » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 pm

PToombs wrote:Since it comes with 2 thermocouples and the guage, just make the lead wires the same length for each. Doesn't sound like rocket science to me.
But then, I'm not a rocket scientist! ;)

We know what you are Pete. :lol:

1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm

I should drive that truck to SOP. Problem is I'll end up working all the way and be too tired to do anything. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Here you go Ace.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref= ... nav=temh07

Type K thermocouples are the most standard types used on American injection molding machines. The Jap presses like to use type J. German are a mix of both types. It depends on the MFG.

That is a 25' spool in that add. If you hook up a 2' section and do a reading. Then hookup a 25' section the reading won't be off more than 10 degrees or so.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby Ace » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:23 am

Fair enough Philip, but it still may need to be specific (length) to the gauge you are connecting it to.

Personally, unless there is some way to verfy the wiring requirement on gauge itself and if it didn't come complete with all the wiring, I wouldn't buy it. JMHO. And on a side note, I don't care much about post turbo temps either. Maybe you guys should offer Meby to re-purchase it from him at cost if he can't get it wired right. Sorta like a wiring gaurantee? :P
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:36 am

Ace wrote:
Personally, unless there is some way to verfy the wiring requirement on gauge itself and if it didn't come complete with all the wiring, I wouldn't buy it. JMHO. And on a side note, I don't care much about post turbo temps either. Maybe you guys should offer Meby to re-purchase it from him at cost if he can't get it wired right. Sorta like a wiring gaurantee? :P

Sounds good to me. Any takers? :lol: :lol:

Given the choice of only one, I would always put my pyro pre turbo. I just happened to run across this one on ebay and thought it would be cool to have one on both sides given that the cost on this gauge is approx. the same as my other choice (autometer). A two for one kind of thing.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Matt, put the 2nd probe in the other truck and then you'll know what both are reading at the same time! :thumright:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical