External Regulator

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

External Regulator

Postby KRB64 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:45 am

I was having pulsation issues that caused lights to flicker, and recently some error codes showing excessive charging (remember we're talking the truck here...).

I added grounds, and had the alt checked but to no avail, so I finally got around to adding an external regulator. That solved the problem.

Now my question(s). The check engine light stays on, is that because the ECM is no longer connected to the alt? If so, can I run both the stock computer regulator AND the external together?

I like the check engine light for diagnostic purposes and would like to have it functional. But maybe I can't have my cake and eat it too?
'92 W250 CC LE, auto, OD on shift, 3.54 limited; boost/PT pyro/tranny, oil temp, fuel press, tach; Bosch 190s, Ol' Smoky, 366 spring, full fuel, pull cable, 1/8" bump, synthetics, Borgeson, aFe, 16cm house, 4" pipe, AT cooler, ton shoes, ext reg...
KRB64
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:56 pm

I'd just pull the bulb and not worry about it. With a 100% mechanical engine, and 99% hydraulic tranny, the check engine light isnt much of a diagnostic tool, anyway. I've done it in 2 vehicles, and had a check engine light in each one.

You ever call that farrier in Waddy? You are both country boys.....

Dan
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby KRB64 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:30 am

Well thats what I was coming around to I guess. Not much left to diagnose so why bother. Figured hooking up with the existing would just confuse things.

Got another horse that had just been trimmed so I trimmed the others myself.

Bout time to give him a call though. The foundered pony is getting ahead of me. The big Morgan had some vertical cracks but that was about 1-2 inches ago.

You ever get your final farrier certificate?
'92 W250 CC LE, auto, OD on shift, 3.54 limited; boost/PT pyro/tranny, oil temp, fuel press, tach; Bosch 190s, Ol' Smoky, 366 spring, full fuel, pull cable, 1/8" bump, synthetics, Borgeson, aFe, 16cm house, 4" pipe, AT cooler, ton shoes, ext reg...
KRB64
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:20 pm

I'm going later this month in Salem IL. Nothing personal, but I hope I dont have to go to KY in October- I want to pass the rest of it this time around. IF I do end up going to KY, I'll stop in and at least say hi.

The foundered pony needs to stay on about a once a month schedule for 6-8mo- let the seperation grow out. Then she can go on a regular 6-12wk schedule, depending on growth vs wear.

Vertical cracks in the Morgan mare are probably a combination of dry ground combined with excess hoof growth. I dont recall any real issues with her feet- they are pretty good, IMO.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby KRB64 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:09 am

Stop on by if you're in the neighborhood!

Yea I just need to get rid of that pony. I'm not doing her or me any good.
KRB64
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical