Brake Light and Anti-lock DASH LIGHT ON

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby dieselhotrodder » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:22 am

my pedal is also spungy, where is the valve located? any pics? my rear brakes dont work for sthi. and everything is new!!! then when you do stomp on it. it throws you to the left
dieselhotrodder
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:18 pm

On the frame, drivers side, right above the axle. You can't miss it, it has 2 brake lines and a wire harness plugged into it. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Re:

Postby madabi81@aol.com » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:28 am

PToombs wrote:On the frame, drivers side, right above the axle. You can't miss it, it has 2 brake lines and a wire harness plugged into it. ;)

I was just getting ready to reply with this info, makes those lights go away and braking nice
madabi81@aol.com
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Brake Light and Anti-lock DASH LIGHT ON

Postby Firstgen11 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Can anybody please tell me how to by pass the valve lol do you completely take the brake lines out of that whole block thing with the wire in it or what did you do please tell me and if you slam your brakes do your tires lock completely up or what all info and pics would help alottttt
Firstgen11
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:30 am

There is two ways of doing this.

1. Remove the ABS valve and connect the two hard lines together with a union.

2. The way I did it. Remove the ABS valve. Remove the short line that goes to the rubber flex line. Connect the remaining hard line directly to the rubber flex line.

Adjust the brake shoes, since you're already there.

Bleed the brakes.

Enjoy your new found stopping abilities.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby Firstgen11 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:08 pm

If you connect the hard lines with a union and you slam
Your brakes will your tires completely lock up or what will happen and either way what is best would the brakes just lock up ether way if you deleted the abs valve or by passed it whatever my brakes suck Since I've owned it they have never worked right put new everything still same problem and pedal is hard and don't want to stop the truck at times and when it does it shakes horribly I just need some relief ohh and I pull a gooseneck trailer with my farm tractors and stuff and hay a lot of heavy loads I can't have my brakes just locking up if this is all its gonna do
Firstgen11
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:45 pm

Sounds more like a lack of vacuum for the brakes. Either your brake booster is bad or the vacuum pump is failing. Put in a vacuum gauge and see what you have, should be about 20 hg or a little above with the engine running. After you see what it is, step on the brakes and see if it drops. If it does the booster is bad.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Firstgen11 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:00 am

Ok I will try that I replaced my brake booster last year the whole thing but new parts don't always change things lol I will check the vaccum and see what I come up with
Firstgen11
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Firstgen11 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:54 am

What size is the union I would need to couple the lines together
Firstgen11
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:30 pm

Do a search for "ABS Delete" there is a thread that lists the part numbers for the 2 adapters to bypass the valve. Actually, there are several threads that list the numbers now.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Ghostman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:52 am

What about the ABS valve located on the front of the truck? Does anyone ever mess with that one? Its inside the driver side frame rail.
Restoring a Early '91
2001 12v
(2) 2002 24v
Ghostman
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Firstgen11 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:02 am

That is the one they are talking about I'm just not sure if a valve is being removed or if the metal lines are being taken out of that thing and connected to the back brake lines to bypass that abs controller thing I have no idea maybe I'm not getting the full picture but nobody is explaining this completely
Firstgen11
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Firstgen11 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:02 am

That is the one they are talking about I'm just not sure if a valve is being removed or if the metal lines are being taken out of that thing and connected to the back brake lines to bypass that abs controller thing I have no idea maybe I'm not getting the full picture but nobody is explaining this completely
Firstgen11
fuel screw!!!!

Postby matthewh » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:04 pm

The valve at the front of the truck is the proportioning valve, you need to keep that. The ABS valve is the hunk of metal at the back or the truck, inside the drivers side frame rail. That's what usually causes rear brake issue with the trucks and that's what you want to bypass.

If the brake system itself has been poorly maintained, or run low on fluid enough for air to get in, its possible the proportioning valve is stuck, bypassing the rear brakes. If that's the case, you really need to start from the beginning and bleed the entire truck. May take couple tries to get it right.

Did you ever get a vacuum reading? I'd start at the pump itself and work back to the booster, checking every connection for leaks. Should be pulling close to 20lbs of vacuum and if the vacuum's low, the ABS and (P) light will be on, due to the vacuum sensor located on the drivers side inner fender
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Electrical