Multiple questions...

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Multiple questions...

Postby meby » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:41 pm

The first question is about the speedometer. The truck I bought came with a broken odometer. The speedometer worked, but the odometer didn't. Mark sent me another used one to replace it with, but now in addition to the odometer not working, the speedometer will not go past 55 mph.

Order of events.

Replaced gauge = odometer still not working.

Replaced vss with a new one = odometer still not working.

(I don't recall if the speedo only went up to 55 mph before the vss or after.)

I'm drawing a blank on what is causing this. Loose wire? Does the signal from the vss run through the computer? Suggestions?

Second question: where is the coolant temp sensor located? Is it the one in the middle of the block, behind and below the injection pump?

Thanks guys.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby Richie O » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Coolant sensor is on the drivers side all the way back. I bought 1 last year for like 70 bucks at NAPA.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby Ace » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:32 am

The speedometer is grounded through the PCM (computer). That was a step I went through in eliminating the PCM from my truck. A bad ground "might" cause your 55 problem. I'd re-plug the PCM cable with a good shot of WD40 and check grounds. You could try directly grounding the VSS as a last resort, but if it fixed it that would be just basically bypassing the actual problem. That was the last thing I did did before removing the PCM.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:11 pm

So what you are saying is that the vss feeds into the pcm and the pcm sends a signal to the gauge?

Does the gauge (the odometer and the speedometer) read the same signal? Meaning, why would the speedometer work, but not the odometer?
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:34 pm

The VSS does NOT feed through the computer on a '90.
There was also NOTHING wrong in the speedo wiring, the old speedo would run 70, no problem.

Meby, that replacement speedo worked in all functions when it left here, BUT, my drill only turns it @ 35 mph.
{edit}I have a wiring set-up to spin a VSS to test the electric speedos{end}
The trip-odometer not working could be the gear got broken from vibration or idiots dropping it from 50 feet. :shock:

I'll pull another one out of storage and run it in the hauler for a few miles and ship it out.
I'll make sure it's a'92 or '93 one, as they SEEM to be less problematic.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby meby » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:47 pm

"Mark Nixon"]The VSS does NOT feed through the computer on a '90.
There was also NOTHING wrong in the speedo wiring, the old speedo would run 70, no problem.

Yeh the old one ran higher than that. :lol:
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby Ace » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:33 am

Oh yeah, I see you got a 90. That starts in 91.5...
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:45 pm

Even then, the speedos bench test the same way, as the 2 versions of speedo head are wired the same way in the cluster.

Black is speedo ground and the black wire side of the VSS and both wires are grounded on the power source.
Red is the power side of the speedo, goes to the positive terminal of the power source.
Green is the signal side on the speedo, white on the VSS to the speedo, it just ties together.

This is the lay out of the pins on the speedo head itself, NOT from the circuit board the speedo plugs into.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Ace » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:43 pm

The VSS still gets it's ground through the PCM on the 91.5-93 trucks. I know this because my truck no longer has a PCM. The only way the speedometer will work without it is if you directly ground the VSS. Go ahead and try it if you don't believe me.
Mark Nixon wrote:Even then, the speedos bench test the same way, as the 2 versions of speedo head are wired the same way in the cluster.

If that is the case, then it sounds like he has a grounding issue, like I originally suggested.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 pm

I agree, to a point.
If the needle is fluctuating at the indicated 35 mph, then I would also concur to a grounding problem.
While I had the truck there was no such issue and while the odometer was not working for part of that time, the speedo was very accurate and well exceeded 35mph.

I believe I just sent him another bum speedo, so I'll eliminate the possibility of it happening again by thoroughly testing it.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby dpuckett » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:16 am

If the old speedo worked, odo broken, my guess would be the little plastic gears. Replace it with a 92.5-93, and you dont have the gears to break.

Matt- you see the 3.07 axle Mark has?
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:46 am

The build date on the truck is Nov, 1989.

The original and the speedo that Mark sent work, but the odometer doesn't on either. The one that Mark sent is the one that only goes up to 55 mph. The needle doesn't fluctuate, at least not so much that it is obvious.

The 92-93 gauge, is it a direct swap?
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:50 am

Yeh, I saw the axle. The issue is mostly getting it out here from Nebraska and winter is usually slow on work (and money) for me. This year the jury is still out, I have work right now, but don't have much lined up yet for Jan - Mar. I'm trying to keep expenses to a bare minimum until I figure out what is going to happen after the end of the year. We'll have to see, I guess.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Mark, before you send another speedo/odometer, let me run the grounds down. Late Sat. night I took it for a spin and the odometer started working and the speedo ran up as high as it should, but it started fluctuating. I'll let you know what happens.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical