Problem with lights.

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Problem with lights.

Postby cumminsfreak86 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:15 am

So since I've owned my truck, my lights have always flickered when turned on (every light including guage lights). They didn't flicker on and off. They just dimmed and brightened in approximately one second intervals. It never really bothered me before but I decided to replace the external voltage regulator tonight. The new VR stopped the flickering. However It revealed 3 things:

(1) My alternator was going bad.
(2) My guage lights, now not flickering as before, we alot less brighter...almost to the point of not being readable at night.
(3) My battery, installed new last January, is low on charge already.

Ok. So I know I'm going to have to buy and throw a new alternator in. My questions are:

Why would my guage lights be brighter while flickering than they would be while remaining at a constant brightness with the new regulator?

Also, will replacing my alternator fix my problem with the dim guages?

Sorry for the book. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance

Chris
91.5 W-250 RCLB 5spd. 6" lift. some go fast parts.
cumminsfreak86
fuel pin?

Postby mprmn08 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:46 pm

if the VR was bad possibly to much voltage goin to the lights made them brighter?? just a thought dont know for sure.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Have the alternator spun on a tester by a competent person.
Check and re-check your grounds and battery connections.

Something that troubles me, even though it was flickering, you were maintaining a charge, now that you have swapped out the voltage regulator, you aren't.
You MAY have gone from a "bum" regulator to a "bad" regulator.

{edit}
I can't stress enough how important it is to check the grounds and battery connections, even the SMALLEST ground issue can cause the most irritating and seemingly large problems.
Extra grounds from the body to the frame are always a good idea, as is routinely taking apart the multiple connections at the battery and cleaning them, then using a corrosion impeder, even a very small dab of axle grease works good.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Ace » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:45 am

The regulators do that. If you get a good one they seem to last forever, but there are some bad ones out there. Flickering lights is the classic symptom.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby cumminsfreak86 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Yeah I kind of wondered if the regulator I replaced the old one with is bad. I only paid $15 for it at carquest. I think its definitely a cheapy. I didn't really know where to find a good quality one. Is there a place or website or brand of VR thats particularly good for our trucks and how much does a good one generally cost? I also thought it was weird that my lights would be dimmer with the new one.

I checked all the grounds I could find yesterday and still the same problem. Im saving my pennies for a new alternator now. My battery is definetely low it seems.

Thanks for all the input fellas...I really appreciate it.
91.5 W-250 RCLB 5spd. 6" lift. some go fast parts.
cumminsfreak86
fuel pin?

Return to Electrical