Factory Tach Light

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Factory Tach Light

Postby Billy Boy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 pm

I have already replaced the dash lights on my truck with LEDs. I am trying to match my gauge and tach lights with the dash LEDs. Right now the dash has a nice, clean white light, the gauges are a dull white light and the tach glows green! I figured out the replacements I need for the gauge LEDs (I think). At the same time I would also like to order an LED or LEDs for the tach. Just FYI, I ordered the dash lights from superbrightleds.com.

Anybody have any information on how to access the light(s) in the factory tach, what bulb(s) it currently contains, and (a stretch here) any info on a replacement LED?

I know it is said that if it isn't broke, don't fix it! The LED light is so much easier to read though...and looks cool to boot!
1989 Dodge D350 Dually, Non I/C
Billy Boy
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Factory Tach Light

Postby Billy Boy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Anybody have anything on this? The only reason I ask is because I seem to recall reading somewhere that these were factory sealed units. I don't see an obvious way to get the gauge open and I definitely don't want to risk damaging it.
Billy Boy
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:29 am

I just repaired one of the factory tachs the other day.
On the backside there is one phillips screw that removes the main case, once that's off the (2) bulb holders are the ones that have the yellow wires and are a "twist-to-lock" design, just like the ones on a dash cluster.

They use a glass wedge bulb that's half the size of the I.C. bulbs.

I need to find a pair of them for mine.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Billy Boy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Yep, thanks Mark. I got a chance to look at it yesterday evening. It came apart really easily, no problems to report. Now I have to figure out which LEDs to replace those bulbs with...
Billy Boy
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon May 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Radio Shack has some small green LED bulbs that you can adapt in and they run at ~12 volts.
I was looking for regular bulbs for the tach and ran across them, but didn't buy them.
Of course, I don't have the part number.

I found bulbs for the tach, but they won't let the green "condoms" stay on, so I'm going back for the LEDs.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Billy Boy » Mon May 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks Mark, this was next on my list. I'll be stopping by the local Radio Shack tomorrow to check it out. Hopefully they have them in white light too...
Billy Boy
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical