Well, I started some body work...

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Well, I started some body work...

Postby cmann250 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:18 pm

I started and thats about it. I thought I'd start a thread to ask all my complete newb questions. I have the classic surface rust everywhere because the paint peeled off. It's also rusted through above both rear wheel wells, both rockers are gone, there is a rust through behind the passenger front wheel, and there's a big dent in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side of the bed. I'll try to get some pics up, for the sake of before and after.

I picked up a self etching primer for the really bad spots. So how much of this surface rust do I need to get off, using that primer?

Also, I have no intentions to make this a show quality paint job. I just don't have the skills, time, or money. My idea of a good paint job is one that keeps the rust away for 15 of 20 years. If it turns out good, I'll be thrilled 8)
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Re: Well, I started some body work...

Postby PToombs » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Is the paint still peeling off? If so, you need to sand it ALL off. Otherwise, it will keep peeling after the new paint is on. When these trucks were made, they didn't use UV resistant primer or paint, only the clear coat. So when that was gone the UV attacked the paint and primer and broke the bond between the 2. That's why it peels off and leaves the primer on.
You should get all the rust off you can. I usually use a metal prep of some kind to kill the rust, it seems to help.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Yep it's still peeling. I taped off a section to practice a little and when I peeled the masking tape off, off a came some dark blue paint with it. I suppose I should get a good sander. Rat farts :mad:

My thoughts were where it has surface rust now, hit it with that special primer and where it has paint now a regular primer will do. True?

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:30 pm

You might better prime it all with the good stuff. Better wait and see what some others say, I'm not a real body man. I can do it, but I don't know all the newest and bestest stuff to use.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby PJ 3 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:25 pm

When I bought my truck new it started to peel about a year after the warranty run off. I fought with Chrysler to come good for it but no win. I brought the truck to one of the best body guys in this area and they said that everything had to come off. He sanded the complete truck right down to the bare metal. When I walked into the shop to check on the progress, I thought he chromed it. His opinion on it at the time was that the primer was no good and to paint over something that was bad to begin with was a waste of money so he stripped it clean and re-finished the whole truck. I suppose it's the proper thing to do but also expensive.
Pete

1992 W250
PJ 3
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Buy some Aircraft paint remover. Stuff is really good. Spray it on, blow the paint off with water or shop air. You can buy it at O'Reilly auto parts.

http://www.google.com/m/products/catalo ... ce=desktop
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks Ellis. What's that stuff do to rust? I've never used it on rust

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:47 pm

Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Nothing,but it'll save you some sanding ;)

I'm no body man but I'd sand blast the rust. Nothing sucks more than that stuff coming back after lots of work
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Alec » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:38 pm

I am not a body or paint guy. That said, I haven't seen a re-paint on any vehicle in my area that is run in the winter salt that has lasted more than five years. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying it is very hard, time consuming and expensive. Metal blasted white clean, etched, and painted with zinc-chromate primer & and quality color or color & clear coat might get you in the 15 year range, assuming you do it on both sides of every panel.
'91 W250: Getrag; 3.54's
Alec
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm bumping this one back up.

My current plan is to sand off all the surface rust, patch in the panels that have rusted through, spray the aircraft remover to strip the remaining paint, primer accordingly, and paint the whole thing. I rattle can primered it just for a bit of protection during my slow progress. My biggest goal is to get rid of all that UGLY surface rust where the paint peeled off.

Does anyone with more expirence than me see anything blatantly wrong with that plan? I realize the rust throughs will come back in time and I'm not as concerned about that as the surface rust.

Also does anyone know of a good brand of orbital sander? Mine flew apart and broke today :evil:

Thanks guys

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu May 03, 2012 4:06 pm

I've heard good things about this stuff.
http://autobodystore.com/picklex20.shtml
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I bought one from harbor freight a few years ago and it does alright. Its made very light with blue plastic,so at the time I thought it would have been done in short order. Its held up so far.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:43 pm

I've had some time here and there and the vast majority of my surface rust is gone. I took a wire wheel to the drip rail and found mine is rust free :D I ended up getting an electric Dewalt sander for my birthday. It kicks some serious butt compared to the old one. The air compressor I'm using royally blows so the electric is awesome.

I'll get some pics of the progress up tomorrow in the day light

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:09 pm

cmann250 wrote:I'll get some pics of the progress up tomorrow in the day light

What a tease :roll: :lol:
ellis93
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Body