Door Latch?

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Door Latch?

Postby slow_90firebird » Thu May 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Just tonight I was cleaning the truck and the driver side door decided it wouldnt shut. The latch closes around the striker bolt, but wont stay. Only way I can get it shut is if I lock the door. Then I gotta unlock it to open it from the outside again what a PITA...

I had the door panel off and all the clips and rods seem to be working ok. I soaked the latch in PB blast. Still no luck.

Is it time for a new door latch? Where are these sold?

Also anyone know where to get more of those special wire spring clips for the door panels :roll:
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Door Latch?

Postby slow_90firebird » Fri May 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Update:

Had someone else look at it that I work with and he seems to think that because my door hinge pins are sagging, that its not hitting in the right spot enough to close properly... We figured out that if I close it by any other part of the door besides the handle, that it seems to stay shut...
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat May 12, 2012 6:01 pm

That could be, replace the pins and bushings and try it again. You can get them on the "Help" rack at most auto stores. Door panel clips are there too.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Burritoboi5 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:31 pm

I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow to look for a driver side door latch. I have new hinge pins and bushings to install, but my latch just crapped out completely. I blew up the plastic cam in it so it won't stay closed at all. Why not try closing yours with a screwdriver to check if the striker just isn't hitting the right spot?

Also mine exhibited the same behavior before it completely blew up, just a heads up amigo.

-Steve
Burritoboi5
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Body