Will this work?? Cab repair.

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Will this work?? Cab repair.

Postby DodgeFreak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 am

Alright, I bought a 92 Ex cab w250 that the bottom part of the cab is really really really rusted out, the front ds cab mount is gone (welded a piece of 4" channel iron on the cab mount on the frame to hold that side up for now) ps cab mount is alittle better not much and the rockers\rear cab mounts are rusted good also.....I'm a poor married guy with two kids in my mid 20s, so heres what i'm thinking about doing:

We have a rust free regular cab i may try to cut up and use.... i'm thinking about cutting the apillars on both trucks, then instead of cutting across the middle of the rockers, cut as far back on the rockers as i can on both. then put the ex cab on the reg cab front clip, i'd still keep the ex cab roof line with new front body mounts,
The back part of the ex cab broke free from flexing so much, so i figured i'd cut along the bottom of the rear window and down along the cab corners on both and reweld that all in, Then cut out the rear body mounts of both cabs and weld them back in, I know its alot of cutting and will be time comsuming, (I'm supposed to be getting a rust free 77 excab 1\2 2wd dodge i was going to put the drive train from mine in),

But i'm not sure when i'll get it and if i do that i want to completely restore it, So this will be a 10 year temp kinda deal lol.... do you think it will work or am i missing something between the two cabs, I'll try to take pictures of both and mark it out if i get time when i'm down home.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Re: Will this work?? Cab repair.

Postby CumminsPower59 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:52 am

IMHO, I would hold off on cutting that regular cab up and use the 77 ex cab, or get a cab from Mark, as he has one too. Just swap the cabs. Since most of the structural integrity and rigidity of your current cab is gone, cutting out and welding in new metal is gonna be a pain in the arse as it may never get back to being true, as in not square and body lines not matching up, doors not closing properly, etc.

Hope this helps ya ;)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:32 am

Marks only 4 hours from my parents i guess, does he do any trading??? I can't pm him yet other wise i would....(i'm assuming your talking about mark nixon...right?)
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:24 am

Yes, good ol Mr. Nixon. I don't know if he does any trading or not, but you got your post count up enough, should be able to pm him, if not, I can shoot you his number and you can call him.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to Body