Lets talk head liner replacement

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Lets talk head liner replacement

Postby 1992gen1_fan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:28 am

Hello, I removed the head liner from my truck since the fabric came loose from the foam board and dropped the other day. What other alternatives has everyone came up with for either fixing the stock one or putting something else in its place. I was surprised to find that the sheet metal above the head liner in my truck actually looks prety good(I was expecting visable spot welds ect).
I would almost leave the headliner out instead of trying to fix the factory one but I know the cab will be louder and an "acoustic" nightmare. Post up what you've done for a headliner replacement. I'd like to see pics if you've got them. Thanks :D
'92 Dodge w350, 5 spd, Dana 80 3.54, timing spacer, ground stock pin&3200 spring, vgt, hungry diesel piston pump, water/meth, Honed stock injectors, 4" turbo back, light IP adjustments
1992gen1_fan
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Lets talk head liner replacement

Postby RumbleFish » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:56 pm

I got a few yards of headliner material from a fabric store. Pull off the old material and then use a stiff nylon bristle brush to "scrub" the old glue off your board.trim your new material about an inch larger than your board. Spray the board with 3m super 77 adhesive and then put the material on. Its really not hard, unless you do it in a ramcharger like I did and lose the wresting match trying to get it back in.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby 1992gen1_fan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:11 pm

Sounds fairly easy :D i have a can of permatex headliner adhesive I bought a while back.

What about the foam under the fabric? Probably not nessessary I guess, but is there a foam that works good?
'92 Dodge w350, 5 spd, Dana 80 3.54, timing spacer, ground stock pin&3200 spring, vgt, hungry diesel piston pump, water/meth, Honed stock injectors, 4" turbo back, light IP adjustments
1992gen1_fan
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:35 pm

The foam is part of the new headliner material youll get at the fabric store.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby 1992gen1_fan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:34 am

Ok. ;)
1992gen1_fan
fuel screw!!!!

Postby earthdad » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:47 am

A da sander works good to remove and prep. Just gotta be careful. And have a large air supply.

I cant remember the link, but I saw plastic molded headliners with speakers somewhere recently. Was pricey like 350(prob why I didnt save the link), but very cool.

I remembered!
http://www.partstrain.com/store/details ... SH900.html
earthdad
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:35 pm

I did mine back in the winter and i was scraping off the old foam and noticed the cardboard
backing was made of several layers of paper, i got one of the layers to start peeling and it just peeled right
off like a sheet of paper, i then had a fresh clean new backing board, used what Rumble said
the 3M 77 glue, worked like a charm and looks factory, i used the headliner fabric from a fabric
store as well.

Darwin
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby 1990 W250 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:19 pm

i had to replace the sagging headliner in my 90. problem was..... that fiberglass liner was junk as well, so i just glued the new foam-backed material directly to the steel inner roof section and reinstalled the trim. looks original. can't even tell it isn't there.
1990 W250
fuel pin?

Postby MikeRWC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:20 am

I know this is an old one but I figured Id lay down my remedy for those that stumble appon this in search of info.

The cloth separated from my headliner in the club cab long ago and looked ugly after that, I finally took some time to improve the looks of it and the longevity of the fiberboard head liner.
after removing the trim from the truck and removing the head liner I peeled all the glue off the bugger that held the cloth on, used a wire brush and sand paper to help with that.
Then with the head liner resting on two 5 gallon buckets in a normalish position, on the back side I brushed on two layers of fiberglass resin. (At that time i used some fiberglass cloth to repair some cracked/torn edges on the headliner/ decayed areas around where the sun visors mount)

once that cured I flipped it over and gave the Inside side of the head liner a coat of brush on bed liner, the cheaper dublicolor stuff with no grit in it, now keep in mind this first coat of bed liner and the first coat of fiberglass resin really soaks in so two or more coats are necessary. Then I applied a second coat and let that cure and air out for two or three days and re installed. I really liked the look of the bed liner and just left it as is.
Now you can not use bed liner and just coat the back side and inside of the head liner with Fiberglass resin and this will give a great surface to glue your head liner cloth to.

I like that I can clean the bed lined head liner easily, as the cloth always gets dirty in my rigs... do to seemingly always muddy greasy bloody cowsnotty dirty hands.

Hope this helps someone, sure is a nice way to resurrect that head liner.
1992 W250 club-cab Flatbed 3.54 gears 285-75r16 get-rag 5 speed 230k DAP 5X.011 injectors, H1C with 60mm GDS compressor and BD 16cm Exhaust, timing bump, pump tuned(ish), 4 inch intake with BHAF, 4 inch strait threw exhaust, tac, piro, psi gauges and a very fugly looking paint job.
MikeRWC
fuel pin?

Return to Body