RUST!?!?!

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

RUST!?!?!

Postby ellis93 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Well..... :grrr: :thatsucks: :dayum: .....in my drip rail and under my paint. Some one please explain how to remove the entire outer skin of the roof, I'dassume that you dig out the hucky pucky seam sealer and find a seam but IDK.
Being a body man is not my finest skill so any help or pics is appreciated!
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Re: RUST!?!?!

Postby cmann250 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:32 pm

IIRC, I took a wire wheel and my trusty angle grinder to remove the old crusty seam sealer. There's pinch welds down under the sealer. I think the drip rail was the only positive thing about the sheet metal on my truck. I figure drill out the welds, etc, etc. M880cummins had that issue with his crew cab and he had pics of how he fixed it, I think.

I didn't know rust existed down there :lol:
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:58 pm

.Usually it doesn't effect dodge and ford here, chevys we hear rusting. I use to think it was crickets out side but then I sold my last one and all was quite :lol:

I'm not doing what he did,I'm taken it all off. I'm not big on doing stuff twice and if its rusting around there then it could be everywhere.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby BobS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:00 am

The roof panel is welded INSIDE on the pinch weld between the roof panel and the cab's rear panel. If you want to separate it you need to gain access from inside. Otherwise you will need to remove the roof and rear panel as one piece. You can remove the outer front section of the roof from the center of the cab forward but you will still need to gain access from the inside to "butt up support the new welds" as you do them to prevent the outer panel from heat sagging. The easiest thing to do would be start searching craigslist in Texas for a good cab. Usually when the roof rots through, the upper center sandwiched panel that supports the upper windshield are is also partially rotted away.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Well....Mr Bob,that sounds like more work than I want to do. I think I'll pull up the cab lights and investigate with my bore scope before I spend to much time on it. Before I hunt parts, I'll either sell or swap the motor to a Chevy. It's really a damn cryin shame too,the truck is basically rust free EVERY where else. The frame is dirty but no rust anywhere. Even the underside of the cab is spotless. I'd bet money I have the cab lights to blame :/
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Its sad how bad rust eats on these cabs. Ive been searching locally for parts for mine because i stuck my finger threw tge inner cab skin the other night inspecting surface rust.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby dodgeman1990.5 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:33 pm

i ran into the rust problem above the drip edge on my 91. they actuly rust from the inside out due to condensation. If there is any rust showing it will be worse inside and If it is rusted down to the widow seal you are screwed. You have two options 1 hack patch it back togeter with some bondo from the outside and pretend its not there untill next year when the rust bubbles up again. 2 pull the windshield Cut the front of the roof open wire brush it all really good.i then painted everthing i could see with some good chassie saver paint. Then i cut and bent some metel to fit and weld in. They DO NOT make patch pannels i looked for them for over a year.

dodgeman1990.5
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins12club » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:33 am

dazedandconfused wrote:Its sad how bad rust eats on these cabs. Ive been searching locally for parts for mine because i stuck my finger threw tge inner cab skin the other night inspecting surface rust.

If u need a solid regular cab roof skin I will be getting a complete truck after the holidays and it has a very nice roof no cab lights though
cummins12club
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Body