Which Topper fits

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Which Topper fits

Postby flyin6 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:44 am

I have been figuring out that the typical topper companies do not build a topper for our trucks anymore.

A search of the site here did not turn up a similar thread, so who knows which truck toppers actually fit.

In the Cincy Craigslist, I found a couple for a 90's F250. That is all square looking like our trucks, so I'm thinking if I stayed square chevy/ford/dodge, I'd have my best chance for a fit.

Anybody actually know for sure which antique toppers out there fit?
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Which Topper fits

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:12 am

I ran a short bed aluminum top off of a 80's ford. It was close but I had to bolt it on.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby delsilver » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 pm

I have one off a second gen on mine. Looks fine unless you look close as the cab angle is different.
The only ones I know won't fit are off GM's, the width of the box is narrower, not sure but from late 80's on.
Del
Delsilver
93 W250
Fuel pin turned 90 deg, starwheel turned down, timing 1/8 adjust
delsilver
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:18 pm

After I posted here I found some more info
Apparently a 80's Chevy will hang over a half inch
I think I read the 80's ford would fit, and the second gen would, however our bed is square and the 2nd gen tapers, narrower at the back, but not bad
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:20 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:I ran a short bed aluminum top off of a 80's ford. It was close but I had to bolt it on.

You need to stop over and see this build of mine!
I'm going to end up with a ton of good used parts.
Right now will have 6" front skyjacker springs and new shocks as I pull all that to fab in this coil spring suspension I'm going to do
You wouldn't have a line on an extra cab truck cab only would ya?
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Actually Besslers in Hebron had a few nice half tons out there last week when I went. Two had really nice looking cabs . Shoot me a pm of when your around. I was out in Verona last night.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:09 am

I was lucky to score one off a 87 dodge. Itd been on it since the truck was new. I had it on almost a month and a half before a big storm put a trampoline through the side window. Any idea how hard it is to find a side window for a 25+ yr old topper? Its about to come off and end up on the side of the road somewhere.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:34 am

Can't a glass shop cut you a piece of glass or how about a piece of lexan Jeff?
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:26 am

Although I have yet to measure, Ive read in more than one place that the topper windows are some oddball thickness and normal glass shop cant help. Its too cold to mess with it so Im not gonna do anything anytime soon.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:38 am

I'd buy a piece of Lexan and make your own. I believe you can get it in different thickness.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Thats probably what will happen. Im a pretty terrible carpenter so I better get enough to male 3 or 4, and one of them might fit.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby ekroman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:25 am

On my '90, I borrowed a topper for a while, it came from a friend's 1989 Ford.

If I remember correctly, it was a Century. It fit reasonably well. At the front, it didn't match up to the Dodge roof like it should, and the cargo light was a bit close. However, it didn't make contact, and it kept everything inside reasonably dry.

So a Ford topper from that era might be a good enough match. Good luck finding a Dodge one. At that time, Dodge made up less than 10% of US pickup truck sales, and a good number of them went to various government agencies, who don't normally buy pickup toppers.
ekroman
fuel pin?

Return to Body