Stock mirror install Q

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Stock mirror install Q

Postby theoldmanW350 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Hello all. My 1990 w350 has these god awful towing mirrors that are starting to rattle from a few stripped mounting screws. Anyway I got an estimate for paint etc but I want to buy the stock mirrors first. Do the stock mirrors simply bolt on through the door? I can recall running across info about a support bracket inside the door which the mirror bolts on to. Since the skin on these old trucks is thin it's hard for me to think the mirror simply bolts to the door without a inner bracket. Thanks for any replies.
1990 W350. Getrag overfilled. Stock fuel. Stock turbo. M2 fuel pin. Hungry Diesel HVLP lift pump, 2nd gen IC w/ 3" Pusher Intake. Air bag set-up, onboard air. BD exhaust brake. Almost all 4" exhaust. Autometer's. Upgrades as money allows.
theoldmanW350
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Stock mirror install Q

Postby Philip » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:21 am

It uses a inner brace for the stock worthless mirrors. There is also a large hole for the wiring to go threw.

Here is a pic of a door with the mirror removed. I have pluged some of the holes in that pic. You still get the idea of the size of the bigger hole.

Here is a pic of a brace removed from a door. The second pic shows the other side. That bracket sticking out ties into the door inner sheet metal to help support the outer door skin from the weight of the mirror.

If those are sheet metal type screws. Just pickup some nutserts and go the threaded bolts for mountings.

If you don't know what a nutsert is just hit google. There is plenty of info on them.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby theoldmanW350 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:04 am

Really appreciate the response and photos Philip. I couldn't for the life of me find a diagram of the door parts on our trucks. My mirrors are beasts. They stick out over 20". I've thought about nutserts. The tops of the mirror mounts bolt with that system, but I just don't like the mirrors at all. I assume the inner braces will be hard to source. Perhaps I can fab some up. Unless someone out there has some laying around? Thanks again man.
1990 W350. Getrag overfilled. Stock fuel. Stock turbo. M2 fuel pin. Hungry Diesel HVLP lift pump, 2nd gen IC w/ 3" Pusher Intake. Air bag set-up, onboard air. BD exhaust brake. Almost all 4" exhaust. Autometer's. Upgrades as money allows.
theoldmanW350
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:11 am

Fyi, that big hole in the pic is for power mirrors. My manual ones dont have them.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:40 am

Go to a salvage yard and pull the mirrors and inner braces.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:03 pm

When I put my big mirrors on I used large fender washers on the inside of the door and all stainless bolts with nuts inside. I thought about using a flat plate on the inside for more support, but the washers have been ok.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby theoldmanW350 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:32 pm

We have one salvage yard and dodge pickups just don't show up or I'd be all over it. I could check in again but I won't hold my breath. I've considered going to nuts and bolts of course but I just really don't want these monster mirrors. In the mean time I'll throw a bolt in so at least the rattling will stop. If anyone out there has a solid salvage yard and pulls both the mirrors and braces I'd buy them if decently priced!
theoldmanW350
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Body