crew cab roof seems flimsy

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

crew cab roof seems flimsy

Postby Moparman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 am

Hey guys I'm New to this site but have a question. I have recently purchased a 1985 crew cab dually and noticed the roof of the cab is solid but seems to be pretty flimsy. Probably a dumb question but I didn't know if there is some kind of support bracket that may have broken inside the roof. I know they are like a 2 piece roof but just curious what you guys thought.
Moparman
smoke screw?

Re: crew cab roof seems flimsy

Postby DodgeFreak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 am

How flimsy are you talking?? And on the top side?? Mines pretty flimsy also but it has held up to my two kids sneaking up on it.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby Moparman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Yeah on top of mine you push on it pretty easy. Could be normal I'm guessing. Mine may hold up kids lol
Moparman
smoke screw?

Postby hemislave » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:53 pm

I have an 85 crew too, seems like on windy days when your driving it will flex and pop.First couple of times it did it scared the crap out of me. I have been thinking about getting a can of the expandable foam and a real long straw or hose of some kind and trying to put some up in there. :)
85 crew cab 1st gen ve pump tweaked a lil. 4:10s auoto o/d gauges boost,pyro. 16cm exhaust housing .285/75/16 nitto terra grapplers,rebuilt a518 w/a decent torque converter.
hemislave
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DodgeFreak » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:25 pm

don't do that. I've heard that it will trap moisture and rust it out even faster...plus you can't control it and if you get to much in one spot it will push the roof up and distort it.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby Moparman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Yeah I could see that being bad but was a thought
Moparman
smoke screw?

Postby hemislave » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:19 am

DodgeFreak wrote:don't do that. I've heard that it will trap moisture and rust it out even faster...plus you can't control it and if you get to much in one spot it will push the roof up and distort it.

Yeah,I thought about the rust thing too,Probably why I haven't done it yet! ;)
85 crew cab 1st gen ve pump tweaked a lil. 4:10s auoto o/d gauges boost,pyro. 16cm exhaust housing .285/75/16 nitto terra grapplers,rebuilt a518 w/a decent torque converter.
hemislave
fuel screw!!!!

Postby thrashingcows » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Yup they are really flimsy in the center of the roof. I had grabbed a spare parts roof out of a wrecker a few years ago...hey they don't show up in wreckers often. ;) So when I was re-assembling the crewcab after I finished the 2wd to 4wd conversion, I cut out the recessed roof panel out of the donor roof, and then made removable panels to go in Ol' Patches.

So once I had access to the inside of the roof, I cleaned and painted everything, then loaded it up with "Mighty Mat" insulation. Then installed the removable panels. Sure quieted up the interior, and the roof is much more stable now.

You can check out what I did in my build thread over on the DTR. There are pics and descriptions of what I did there.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby hemislave » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:28 pm

thrashingcows wrote:Yup they are really flimsy in the center of the roof. I had grabbed a spare parts roof out of a wrecker a few years ago...hey they don't show up in wreckers often. ;) So when I was re-assembling the crewcab after I finished the 2wd to 4wd conversion, I cut out the recessed roof panel out of the donor roof, and then made removable panels to go in Ol' Patches.

So once I had access to the inside of the roof, I cleaned and painted everything, then loaded it up with "Mighty Mat" insulation. Then installed the removable panels. Sure quieted up the interior, and the roof is much more stable now.

You can check out what I did in my build thread over on the DTR. There are pics and descriptions of what I did there.

I've read your thread.Gonna be a great truck when your done. :D
hemislave
fuel screw!!!!

Postby thrashingcows » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:28 pm

hemislave wrote:
thrashingcows wrote:Yup they are really flimsy in the center of the roof. I had grabbed a spare parts roof out of a wrecker a few years ago...hey they don't show up in wreckers often. ;) So when I was re-assembling the crewcab after I finished the 2wd to 4wd conversion, I cut out the recessed roof panel out of the donor roof, and then made removable panels to go in Ol' Patches.

I've read your thread.Gonna be a great truck when your done. :D

Thanks for the compliment... :D

I have been driving the crewcab since May....mostly done, but for paint. ;)
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Return to Body