2nd gen seats. Re-upholster or seat cover?

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re-Upholster or seat covers?

Re-Upholster
100%
Seat covers
No votes

Total votes : 2

2nd gen seats. Re-upholster or seat cover?

Postby 762frmafr » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 am

So I picked up a full set of second gen seats for the old girl to replace this worn out bench seat.

Here are the second gen seats.

They have the usual rip that all dodge seats have.

I hate the red color and want something more durable. I am thinking about these seat covers.

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Covercraft-C ... avers.html

They are $240 shipped. What I am worried about with seat covers is whether they will bunch up and slide around and I will have to constantly be messing with them. I just want to be able to get and and drive. If I were to get the second gen seats re-upholstered, I would have to buy my own material, which would be 1000 Denier Cordura. The upholstery shop says I need 6 yards which would be in the neighborhood of $100 in material, plus $450 in labor to re-upholster. I want this to be the last truck I ever have to buy. Which do the great 1stgen'ers recommend?
762frmafr
fuel screw!!!!

Re: 2nd gen seats. Re-upholster or seat cover?

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:12 am

My experience with upholstery has been that it will cost you exactly one billion dollars and they won't do it anyway, deciding to go out of business instead, keeping your $$, and almost throwing your seat away.

I vote for seat covers. :lol:
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby 762frmafr » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:33 am

Tacoclaw wrote:My experience with upholstery has been that it will cost you exactly one billion dollars and they won't do it anyway, deciding to go out of business instead, keeping your $$, and almost throwing your seat away.

I vote for seat covers. :lol:

The place that quoted me the $450 has been in business for over 30 years in this area. So I don't think they will be going out of business any time soon, that is unless of course they die right after I drop my seats off.
762frmafr
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:17 pm

If you can afford it, get them redone. It will last longer and look better in the long run. Covers move, bunch up, rip, and those in the pic are fugly! (IMO)
Plus, those covers are almost 1/2 the price of redoing them!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:08 pm

I went the route of recovering with my 2nd gen seats. I like the look much better (funny thing is is I went from the grey fabric to red which I like better) as I'm still waiting for the middle seat to come back they driver/passenger seats are sitting in my room, and I sit in them while I play Xbox (so I've sat in it twice since I got it back)
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby thrashingcows » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:02 pm

I would go with the re-upholstering as well. Like suggested you are still dropping almost half the price just on seat covers, and eventually those seat covers will need to be replaced, or you will want to redo your seats later.

Spend a little more now, or a lot more later. ;)
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Return to Body