Trying to repair tailgate, questions on how.

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Trying to repair tailgate, questions on how.

Postby Cburb1988 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Im trying to repair my tailgate it was all screwed up the top is bowed in and im probably gona leave that part alone i cant think of a way to fix it without messing something else up in progress, i got everything else figured out im going to straighten out hinges and stuff but my main concern is the 2 ears that slide over the tabs on the bed are all messed up and i need like a picture of someones thats in good shape so i know how to correct it and fab up the stuff to fix.

For the ears i was going to try and use either some flat stock and bend how i need it or use some tubing. Everything is so messed up now im not even sure how its supposed to be...haha. Here are some pics if someone can either explain how everything should be or even get me pics of what its all supposed to look like id be happy, thanks.

This is passenger side tab im not sure if its supposed to be bent over like that or if its supposed to be straight up like the driver side is.

93 W250 LE CTD Ext Cab 4WD 5 Speed.
Cburb1988
fuel pin?

Re: Trying to repair tailgate, questions on how.

Postby PToombs » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:30 pm

It's supposed to be like that. You tip the gate out about a foot and then lift that side off the tab then slide sideways off the drivers tab.
On the drivers side of the gate, I'd cut that rusty crap out, weld in a plate, then weld a piece of pipe or tubing to the plate.
As for the passenger side :shock: Squeeze the side on the top in the pic down some, then repair the rest of the circle. Either take a strap and bend it around, or cut a side from a tube and try to fit it in. I think I would try to straighten it as good as I could, then patch it in. The inside needs to be smooth so it can slide around the pin, and you need to make sure it's the right size, so any pieces added need to be on the outside.
Good luck!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Cburb1988 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:39 pm

So that tab on passenger side is supposed to be tilted that way? Then driver side on tailgate is supposed to be a complete circle you slide gate on toward driver side then passenger side slides onto that tab which is bent down? if so for passenger side tailgate i just need to basically make a " U " shape so it slides onto that tab? if that all is correct then this is like the ford tailgates i didnt think the dodge gates were like that.
Cburb1988
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Yes, and yes, and sorta kinda! :lol: A U isn't quite right, it's more like a circle with a notch cut out of it. It has to be round so the gate rotates, but open so you can lift it up.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Cburb1988 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Ah alright good, makes sense the C jus needs an opening big enough to slide over tab and diameter big enough to rotate around it to open and shut gate. Thanks this helps alot I'll try to find tubing that is the right size if I can otherwise I'll bend flat stock how I want it and fix some of the rust in the gate.
Cburb1988
fuel pin?

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm

As plentiful as tailgates are, just replace it. Anything 81-93 will slip right into place. If you have an "LE" gate with the big DODGE plate, remove it, drill holes in the new one and bolt it on ;)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to Body