sound deadener

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

sound deadener

Postby greasemonkey » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:29 am

just wondering if anyone on here has taken the time to throw some sound deadening mat in their truck and how much of a difference it made. I know these trucks weren't made with acoustics or road noise in mind but I'm kind of a good/clean sound junkie when it comes to car audio (friend of mine owned a mid-high end stereo shop for a while and ruined me!)

so sometime a few months down the road, I plan to replace the carpet, replace the falling headliner and have the captains chairs reupholstered, while I have all that out I figure I might as well put in as much sound mat as I can, ebay has several different 8-mil thick mats.
'93 250 4x4 NV4500, flatbed, club cab, ex brake, pump tweaked, too many new ideas thanks to you guys.
dubbed the "Mexican Mtn Goat"

..if you find yourself in a fair fight you did not properly prepare..
..hot rodders are the original recyclers!..
greasemonkey
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:47 am

I went to my local auto store and got some strips of alunimum tape, that helped a bit keeps the heat in and out better though, theres a guy on here named underpsi he bought a mate make for first gens its supost to make everything alot quieter
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby GO OVRIT » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:59 pm

I had a few partial roles of window tape(rubbery tape to seal windows when building) leftover from building my house. For some reason I figured the floorboard of my first 93 was a good place to use it up. It actually did dampen some road noise. I've been meaning to get some real stuff though to use in my 92.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby Jeep-hauler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:40 pm

I've been looking at laying down some Dynamat before I get a carpet kit, but that stuff ain't cheap. So I'm looking for other similar products that are less expensive. Good ideas guys.

-Jeremy
'51 Power Wagon VE Cummins project.
'92 W250 -Got it cheap, it runs, it's ugly, it's a parts truck
'93 W250 -tweaked pump, 4" exhaust, NV 4500HD 5-speed. Jeep tow rig, daily driver. Sold.
Jeep-hauler
fuel screw!!!!

Postby greasemonkey » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:24 pm

definitely don't get dynamat, that stuffs marked up almost as much as Bank$ Power!!
if you check ebay there are several brands on there that are about half price. I don't remember what brand it is but one of them is a legitimate generic brand that comes from the same manufacturer dynamat is supplied by.

just spend some time on there, figure out the price/square foot they're selling for and watch the shipping costs to make sure they're not jacked way up(some are, some aren't). look for the 8-mil thickness, metal/foil backed stuff. the metal backed stuff is more durable than the straight foam and is what you want for using under the carpet. that'll be both a sound and a thermal barrier, which is nice for extreme temperatures (you know, like when it gets REALLY COLD at +30 degrees F!...hahaha).

probably the most important part to cover, maybe even with two layers, is the back of the cab below the window, ton of road noise there. 2nd most important(and most difficult) is the firewall. the back of the plastic door panels and also on the inside of the outer door skin will make a pretty big difference, too. and obviously under the floor carpet. if you have the headliner down (I'll have to, mine's falling down) then a layer up there will make a big difference when you park in the sun.

I'm absolutely sure that I don't want to take the dash apart just to put deadener in there; but if I ever do have to pull the dash out I'll be putting all kinds of sticky mat and foam blocks in there!
'93 250 4x4 NV4500, flatbed, club cab, ex brake, pump tweaked, too many new ideas thanks to you guys.

greasemonkey
fuel screw!!!!

Postby greasemonkey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:11 pm

the best mat for the price I've seen available is FatMat, you can go to fatmat.com or search evilbay for their 80mil, there's 100 sq ft going for $100. I'd really like to go through my cab right now but I've been spending all my money on the inj pump and rear axle swap.

carpet, seat recovering and sound deadener are at the top of my list of things to do when I'm not doing things crucial to keeping the truck running! hopefully I can get to this pretty soon!

greasemonkey
fuel screw!!!!

Postby NO_SPRK » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:04 am

i have heard of some stuff like the big name companies at home improvement stores. i forget what its ment for but roofing comes in mind. goodluck
91.0' W350 SRW LE. 727 3.54s, Dana 80 LSD, 265/75R16E, 366 spring, THIN pin, pump maxed, what starwheel? timing bumped, BHAF, 3.5" straight pipe, rear bagged, Isspro gauges, Hella H4s, Borgeson shaft....COMING SOON! ??? sticks, HX40 & DRW conversion
NO_SPRK
fuel pin?

Return to Body