Bad door hinges.

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Bad door hinges.

Postby NYCEGUY01 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:16 pm

Ive got this 92 LE and the hinges are shot. It makes the doors hard to open etc...

Are these like the newer chevys where you just buy a new pin and bushings or do I just need to go find some new hinges ??

How much of a pain is it to get the old ones out if this is the case ??
96 chevy 3500 4x4 dually. 1st gen Cummins ,nv4500.
NYCEGUY01
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BBrown » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:35 am

Repair kits (replacement pins and bushings) - are readily available at Parts America, Advance, I got mine at Napa.
You'll need a couple wrenches, a hammer and a small chisel and a punch.
A helper friend is indespensible. Unbolt one hinge at a time and it can be done in a short time.
My first pin was 20 min with three helpers showing me what to do,
My second used a motor hoist (cherry picker) by myself in about a half hour.

In both my doors, the bottom pin was the cause of most of the sag - my top pins are still factory original.
Bob
BBrown
fuel pin?

Postby greasemonkey » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:08 pm

awesome, my doors sag a lot and started to mess up the latch in the door.
'93 250 4x4 NV4500, flatbed, club cab, ex brake, pump tweaked, too many new ideas thanks to you guys.
dubbed the "Mexican Mtn Goat"

..if you find yourself in a fair fight you did not properly prepare..
..hot rodders are the original recyclers!..
greasemonkey
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:44 pm

I didn't even unbolt the hinge from the door. Support the door with a floor jack in the center. Use something for padding to protect the paint.

Take an air chisel with a long blunt nose tip and drive the old pin out from the bottom. Jack the door up a little and pull outwards. Slip in the new bushings. Relaign the door and instll the new pin. Hit the top of the new pin with the air chisel to seat it.

It works best to do the bottom hinge first. It is the hardest one to do. With the slop in the upper hinge letting the door move a little to allow clerance.

A friend of mine ran his own body shop for about 25 years. He tought me this trick on my truck. It took 15 minutes to do both hinges on the drivers door. :D
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Return to Body