My New 92

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

My New 92

Postby Togorashi » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Hello. I picked up a 1992 D250 yesterday. I've wanted a 12v Dodge for about 3 years now. I'm really excited that I finally got it. This is my 3rd Diesel. I've also got a 1981 Mercedes 300TD and a 1986 300SDL.

The truck is really low mileage...an honest to goodness 105k. It was owned by the Trinity River Water Authority. I doubt it ever left their plant. At 100k miles they sold it. It's a work truck and cosmetically it needs a little work. Mechanically it seems sound. Here is a link to my gallery.

My plans:

1. Repair all of the body work myself and send it off to a shop to get painted. The tailgate is pretty dinged up and rusted. Repair or replace? Any thoughts? I'm thinking either a dark green or dark grey for the color.
2. 2-3" lift, new wheels and tires. Nothing drastic. It's 2wd after all. I just want a little more aggressive stance.
3. Redo the interior. The seat is shot. Headliner is sagging. A couple of the panels are cracked. I know a person who is starting out in the upholstery trade. They can redo my seat for cheap. If it's not perfect, I won't cry over it.
4. Yank out that crappy bedliner and do a line-x spray in. While I'm at it, I might get them to spray the cab as well.
5. New Stereo
6. Re-chrome or replace the mirrors.
7. New bumpers and maybe a brush guard.
8. Then start working on the engine....

This is a great forum. I'm so glad I came across it. Really looking forward to starting the project.
Stock 1992 D250 Regular Cab
Togorashi
smoke screw?

Postby Ace » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:19 am

That's not bad looking old survivor, at all. Should be a fairly strightforward resto project. I don't know about lifting 2wd, maybe a bit more involved than just putting heavier coils in to raise it up.

Welcome!
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby Togorashi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:36 am

I've rethought the whole lift idea. I think I'll keep it fairly stock. I was in throws of truck envy looking at someone else's sweet lifted 4x4 '91. Ehem....Ace. I guess that means I'll just have to get another truck ;)

I gave it a thorough wash today. I don't think it had been washed in 15 years. Mud and grime was caked onto the whole inside.

It looks like I might have lined up a spot to do all of the body work and paint. Hopefully in about 6-9 months all of the work will be finished.
Stock 1992 D250 Regular Cab
Togorashi
smoke screw?

Return to Body