Dash Removal- How Difficult?

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Dash Removal- How Difficult?

Postby Begle1 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:50 pm

How difficult and time-consuming is it to remove a dash?

My dash is cracked down in the bottom of the radio area, and my local pick-a-part has a (gasser) first gen with a primo bordeaux interior in it.

I've already gotten both door panels, the ash tray, and the threshold plates; I'm eyeing the dash, carpet, windows and weatherstripping. I would snag the seat, but my seat isn't that bad, and this one has no head rests.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Plan on pulling the windshield or getting creative to get the screws out. They're under the window rubber up front. Just about non-accessable with the window in.
If you pull the window, seal between the gasket and metal cab, and between the glass and gasket. I found out the hard way. :cry:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Jeep-hauler » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Yeah, the screws under the gasket are a major pain. I pulled my dash out about a month ago, and ran into that problem. I used an exacto knife to cut slots in the rubber(windshield gasket) to gain access to the screw heads. I was able to get the dash out and back in, but even though I took a lot of care to make the cuts look nice, I didn't like the cut slots when I was done. However, a strip of vinyl electical tape along the whole gasket covers over the holes and looks great, and blends right in with the rubber gasket.
'51 Power Wagon VE Cummins project.
'92 W250 -Got it cheap, it runs, it's ugly, it's a parts truck
'93 W250 -tweaked pump, 4" exhaust, NV 4500HD 5-speed. Jeep tow rig, daily driver. Sold.
Jeep-hauler
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Body