Body stripes for a 92

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Body stripes for a 92

Postby 440a-body » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Does anyone know where or who might have the tape stripes for a 92 club cab? I have check the dealer and they are no longer avaliable. Our local graphics guy can't replicate them either. He can't cut the turn where they go around the back of the bed side.
440a-body
fuel pin?

Postby Rambirdy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:57 am

I just finished painting mine and you are correct the factory stripes are nowhere to be found. Here is what you do. Go to the junk yard and take a razor blade and start at the point of the stripe and strip back about 4 " ---starting at the point at the grill and going back you will need this for the template. I then took this and put it on the sticky side of 3M tape and cut around it to make a firm template.

Here is where to find the stripes. The original factory was made with the smaller stripe all in one. Go to www.gopherauto.com and buy a roll of 7/8" 3M Scotchcal Striping tape it comes in several colors. Next buy a roll 1/8" 3m Single stripe tape. My truck was silver and black and I bought the red 7/8 and the silver 1/8. One 40' roll should do the truck if you do not make any mistakes---I bought two---they are only 4-5 bucks each. The 7/8 only comes in large rolls and is about $45.

To get started just take your template and put on the 7/8" tape and cut it to fit at one end---you will have to round off the front with scissors---reverse for the other side. The top of the tape is 1" down from the top line except in the front near the point where it is about 1 1/4" where it starts to drop near the grill. Once you have applied the 7/8 tape you are ready to put the smaller 1/8" tape over this tape. You asked about the rear. When you get to the tailgate on the big stripe turn it down around the corner---trust me it will work. In other words if you look from the rear of the truck at the corners the stripe turns down and then go straight across the tailgate. I cannot remeber the distance to put the 1/8 stripe on the larger stripe. I want to say it is about 1/8 down from the top just measure from the junk yard template . The best thing to do is eyeball this small stripe when applying JUST TRY NOT TO STRETCH IT IF YOU DO IT WILL MAKE IT THiN. Just take off with it and run it over the 7/8 " tape and it will look great. Also before we applied the 7/8 tape we ran a straight line of 3/4" 3m masking tape along the truck and then just butted the stripe up against this. Just dont be afraid to mess up and do it!
Rambirdy
smoke screw?

Return to Body