Oversized door hinge bushings

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Oversized door hinge bushings

Postby slingshot » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:37 pm

I am not having any luck finding oversized hinge bushings or repair kit. I replaced the bushings with direct replacement bushings, but the holes already had too much clearance. The new bushings lasted only a few days, and then the collars broke off of them and they fell out. Now Im back at square one or below, now that there are no bushings at all. I remember when I was a kid, I got a kit that had larger bushings, and you drilled the holes out to what size the new bushings are. That was a long time ago and I cant seem to find any info on this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Google just brings up 100,000,000 results on the wrong info.
1993 W250 5speed.
slingshot
fuel screw!!!!

Postby IowaCummins » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:29 pm

my local parts store has an assortment of bushings that i bet you could find the right size of over size and new pins or just grade 8 bolts. just a thought
1993 Dodge W250 Reg cab. Auto, .010" headgasket, A1 Studs. Just the Lil Ole VE pump Fuelin 7x.014's turnin the Aurora 3000 turbo. 5" Turbo back to Duals. :cbadge:
IowaCummins
14mm rotor

Postby burnt_servo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:48 am

what i have done in the past is put a piece of sheet metal over the hole and drill a hole through the sheet metal to mark the location of the hole , then 2 or 3 more small holes to mark the location of the sheet metal template .

then just weld the hole over , grind it smooth on both sides and then use your template that you just made to drill a new hole .

i'm surprised the dealer doesn't have anything .
Last edited by burnt_servo on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 w250 .... stock ...
curently removing the dead moose parts ....
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby slingshot » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:34 pm

I just got back from the "auto recycle center" or for most people-the junk yard. Picked up a hinge that has very little slop in it. I will just rebush this one and be done with it.

I was interested to see a 1st gen truck in there that did not have bushings in the hinges, it was just steel on steel, looked pretty much the same, just no place for bushings. ?
1993 W250 5speed.
slingshot
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Body