sound deadening

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

sound deadening

Postby firstgenjunkie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:08 am

I'm looking at possibly using a spray in/paint deading to quiet inside. I have used dynamat/fatmat/peel n stick type stuff with decent results in the past. Is anyone here familiar with this stuff?

http://www.quietsolution.com/html/trucks.html
http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietcar.html

I've used their quiet rock and was impressed with how it stopped noise from transitioning the inner walls of the house, but I have never used any type of liquid sound deadener.

Comments?
1992 Dodge D350 Dually. EV2 Pyro & Boost, BHAF, Denny T Stage 2 pin, 366 spring, 4 inch exhaust and mildly tweaked pump. 2nd gen split bench, full replacement bumper/grill, and mobile comm suite.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby KTA » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:36 am

I looked at that stuff once before and would love to try it. I wanted to paint my firewall and underside of the floorboards and the back of the cab between the bed with it to see how it did. It would be awesome if you decided to try it if you did some testing. Go down to radio shack and get a decible meter and make some before and after readings at say idle 45mph and 65mph to see how much sound deadening it actually offered in our trucks.
Fleet of Junk: 1989 D350 627rwhp 1300 tq B-1/Hx60 twins, KTA pump/injectors, ported head, BIG fuel supply. 13.75@ 109.5mph 1/4: 1992 W350 Cab-chasis, 1993 W350 ext cab cust.370 inj Hx40/16cm 290rwhp hydroboost brakes,1984 D350 crew-cab another project.
KTA
diesel guru/mod

Postby firstgenjunkie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:25 pm

I can borrow a db meter from work. I'll put it on my summer project list for when I change out the bench seat too and I'll let y'all know if I wind up deciding to spray or roll it on since that could possibly affect the measurements.

Rich
1992 Dodge D350 Dually. EV2 Pyro & Boost, BHAF, Denny T Stage 2 pin, 366 spring, 4 inch exhaust and mildly tweaked pump. 2nd gen split bench, full replacement bumper/grill, and mobile comm suite.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Re: sound deadening

Postby firstgenjunkie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Well I picked up a 2nd gen split bench off of Craigslist and ordered two gallons of the Quiet Car liquid coating. As near as I can tell this is similar to FatMat's Body Armor and the liquid stuff by Dynamat or B-Quiet. I'll make a run tomorrow with the db meter to get a baseline and then one after I put two layers inside the cab. If I have enough I'll do the front wheel wells too. I'll include pics as well. I wasn't able to get my hands on a spray gun which will shoot high viscosity stuff so I'll roll/brush on the finish. I'll pull out the everything except the dash. Should be a good time on Thursday. :D

Rich
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Ole' Blue » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:45 pm

any news? I'm ready to do the same to my truck!
'93 W250 Ext. Cab Flatbed Getrag. Tach, boost, EGT gauges. Fuel Screw bottomed out. 366 spring. BHAF. Tims Cooler Tubz. 3" dp to 4" exhaust. Work in progress.
Ole' Blue
fuel pin?

Postby firstgenjunkie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:57 pm

I finally got around to the initial install of the sound deadener "Quiet Car". As you can see I had some rust to deal with when I stripped out the truck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby firstgenjunkie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:22 pm

I sanded the rust and used an inhibitor which turned it into a black polymer. Since I don't have a paint sprayer I went ghetto and used a roller/brush combo. Here is the first coat. Took me 50 min to brush it all in....which is why I then started using the roller.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby firstgenjunkie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:31 pm

I was running out of time so after the final coat dried, I put the rubber mat, seat belts and bench back in. I'll measure the noise on my way to work and see how it compares to my baseline. I'll measure it again too after I get all the interior in.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby firstgenjunkie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Final shot of the floor. I didn't remove the dash and paint up the firewall. I'm sure that if I had it would be quieter.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby firstgenjunkie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:26 am

Got all the decibel meter readings. All measurements were taken with cruise control set at 70 mph on a fairly level interstate.
Before: 78dB windows up, no radio, no fan.
87dB windows down.
After: 79 dB windows up and only a bench seat/seat belts installed.
73dB :D :D interior in, windows up, no radio, no fan.
88 dB windows down. :roll:

It added about 30 lbs of weight to the truck so I think it was a fair trade off. When I have time (2015 probably) I will use what's left underneath, in the wheel wells and wherever else to see if it's even quieter.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jeff77indy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:50 am

How much Quiet Car product did it take to do your cab? I see it comes in 1 gal.and 5 gal containers.
I am getting ready to do the cab on my '92 just need to kill a little rust and would like to get this ordered.

Thanks
Jeff
jeff77indy
fuel screw!!!!

Postby firstgenjunkie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:23 pm

I wound up using all two gallons I bought. About half a gallon in the two front wheel wells, quarter gallon on the doors and the rest spread liberally within the cab.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oddjobb » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 am

Great thread. I used FATMAT when I did the interior of my truck, did the entire inside of the cab and would like to pull the dash sometime to do the rest up under there, but I think it really quieted down the interior of my truck. I did not take any DB readings though haha. Cost me about $100 on ebay for two rolls of the FATMAT. I also bedlined the bottom of my hood which seems to have reduced noise as well.

1990 W250 w/ 6 inch lift, 35 inch bfg MT's, 1993 intercooler setup, HE341, Tach/Pyro/Boost guages, 366 spring, Denny T stage II, 4 Inch Exhaust from turbo back, Homemade intake, Getrag 5speed w/ 3.07's, POD's. Much more planned in the near future.
oddjobb
fuel pin?

Postby firstgenjunkie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Seems to me that just adding the mass of the bedliner spray would get rid of hood vibration and eliminate some noise. I know when we sprayed the bottom 1/3 and underneath by buddy's Suburban it was a lot quieter inside. Also heavier but with his 454 it really didn't matter. Good picks of the doors by the way. They were the biggest pain for me to do with my truck. I wound up going back and putting some CLD tiles in the outer door skin as well.

Rich
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Body